Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pointless Data Services feature in Community Edition

Exclamation Pointless Data Services feature in Community Edition

With PDI 6, Pentaho have given us the amazing tool of easily usable Data Services.
    Being able to expose reusable transformations as virtual JDBC tables is extremely useful. So much so that it is potentially going to change my whole ETL architecture.

However, I have not yet found any way to take advantage of Data Services in the Community Edition. We have no DI Server, Carte won't expose them, even Spoon can do nothing with them without them being exposed by a server somewhere.

So with this I have to ask, what's the point of having Data Services in the CE Spoon at all? They are as useless as ice to Eskimos.

Lior

May I know what these data services is about. I haven't heard anything about it. It would be greatful if you could share little information about it.

Quote Originally Posted by liorabel View Post
    With PDI 6, Pentaho have given us the amazing tool of easily usable Data Services.
    Being able to expose reusable transformations as virtual JDBC tables is extremely useful. So much so that it is potentially going to change my whole ETL architecture.

However, I have not yet found any way to take advantage of Data Services in the Community Edition. We have no DI Server, Carte won't expose them, even Spoon can do nothing with them without them being exposed by a server somewhere.

So with this I have to ask, what's the point of having Data Services in the CE Spoon at all? They are as useless as ice to Eskimos.

Lior
    Regards,
    Dileep
    Mail ID

In CE, carte is nothing but the data integration server. I think we need to take the help of this for data services what you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by liorabel View Post
    Regards,
    Dileep
    Mail ID

That would be fantastic.
    If Carte does indeed support Data Services, it would be great to have this documented properly.

Quote Originally Posted by saidlp13 View Post
    In CE, carte is nothing but the data integration server. I think we need to take the help of this for data services what you mentioned.
    If this features exists in the CE Carte and just not documented, are you able to share a few details here?