Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: how to set kettle variables values using sql script

Default how to set kettle variables values using sql script

Hi,

Is there a way to set the variable values of .kettle property at run time by using Sql script ?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by ".kettle property", but you certainly can feed values retrieved by a Table-Input step to a Set-Variables step.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi ,

I have defined a variable in kettle.properties file with null value.My intention is to populate this variable value using a SQL Query and mostly using SELECT INTO "the variable name".

Thank you.

You can use simple java script step , and use getVariable method to get Kettle Property variables....
    -- NITIN --

Quote Originally Posted by Puser View Post
    Hi ,

I have defined a variable in kettle.properties file with null value.My intention is to populate this variable value using a SQL Query and mostly using SELECT INTO "the variable name".

Thank you.
    Can I assume that you are a programmer?
    Pentaho Data Integration takes a little bit of a mind-shift for most programmers.

For "Columns" (which I'm going to assume you mean when you say variables), you do not need to declare these in advance. You can use a table Input to bring the columns from SQL into your data stream.

Within a transformation, variables do not change. They have a fairly specific use when abstracting transformations for multiple use.

I'd strongly recommend reading https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-an...second-edition
    Or one of the other PDI books from https://www.packtpub.com/all/?search...%20integration when starting out.