Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Delete or replace line breaks on excel

Question Delete or replace line breaks on excel

Hi everyone!

I'm using 6.0 community edition, and working on a transformation, taking data from several excel files to create one file with the combined data.
    So far I find how to do what I need, but i've been hitting a rock with this:

Some of the cells on the input files have line breaks or new line characters. I'm trying to find a way to automatically delete those characters or replace them with a space, but no luck.
    I tried with Replace in a String and String Operations, but even if I don't mind about having to manually type more than a thousand of Search/Replace strings, the problem is that when I type ALT+010 or ALT+013, nothing happens on the Search field.

Is there any other way to find and replace those characters on an Excel file, or a way to enter them into the Search field?

Thanks!!

Maybe I'm wrong but you can probably use the option to use Regexp for your Replace in String step:
    http://www.regular-expressions.info/nonprint.html
    -- Mick --

Thanks!! That's exactly what I needed. I used Replace In String with Regexp [\n\r] and it gave me a tidy file