Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho Logging and Opening Files

Default Pentaho Logging and Opening Files

Hi everyone,
    I'm running PDI 5.2 and 6.0, and cannot seem to locate any log files. In versions before 5.2, the log files would be located in the %TEMP% folder, with a name starting with spoon and ending in .log. I do see several folders that are created now (starting with hsperfdata and jetty-localhost), but none of these contain log files, and they're deleted after the app is closed. If I start spoon in debugging mode, the SpoonDebug file is populated, but it doesn't really contain a lot of detail. The kinds of logging I am looking for are logs from jobs/transformations that are run, and application logs.
    The main reason I'm looking for these logs (tonight, anyway) is that Spoon is completely locking up when I try to locate a transformation or file for a Job step. We do have a rather large repository (2,047 files in the public folder, with various numbers in the home directory, and we develop in a file-based repo, but export the final product to an enterprise repo), but using the Open dialog or locating a repository item typically took 4 or 5 minutes. Tonight I waited more than 20 minutes for the Open dialog with no response. So, I'd like to see if I can get some sort of log to see what is happening.
    If you have a suggestion, that'd be great. Thanks!

Details
    Spoon 5.2.1.0-148
    Windows 10 x64
    Java 7

Spoon 6
    Java 8 (installed with PDI)
    Last edited by JoBrad; 11-23-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Added setup details

To create log files you can add a step (write to log) or there shold be an option for each transformation to create log files.

http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...log+%28step%29
    -- Mick --

Hi Mick,
    I know about that step. I'm asking for the location of the Spoon *application* logs. This would be sort of like the tomcat logs, for the server (but I'm asking about the client logs, obviously). I've looked on both Linux and Windows - I don't see any logs for Spoon in either OS.

If you execute SpoonDebug, it will create on the same directory the file SpoonDebug.txt.

I know this thread is pretty old now, but I was able to get this working, and wanted to share how I did it. After some trial and error configuring log4j settings, I found this folder: ${pentaho_install_dir}\design-tools\data-integration\plugins\kettle5-log4j-plugin, added a new appender to it, change the level of the org.pentaho.di logger to INFO and the appender-ref of that logger to match the name of the new appender I added. Once I did that, then the file I referenced in my appender showed up as expected.

Here is the appender I added:

Code:
    <appender name="PENTAHOFILE" class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">
        <param name="File" value="../logs/pentaho.log"/>
        <param name="Append" value="false"/>
        <!-- Rollover at midnight each day -->
        <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd"/>
        <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
           <!-- The default pattern: Date Priority [Category] Message\n -->
           <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p [%c] %m%n"/>
           <!-- The full pattern: Date MS Priority [Category] (Thread:NDC) Message\n
           <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5r %-5p [%c] (%t:%x) %m%n"/>
            -->
        </layout>
      </appender>

And the final values of the logger, after I modified it to reference my appender.

Code:
      <logger name="org.pentaho.di">
        <level value="INFO"/>
        <appender-ref ref="PENTAHOFILE" />
      </logger>
    This file shows many of the same entries that you see in the server logs, but for jobs and transformations that you run locally. This is important to me because we do our development locally, before deploying to other environments. In my experience this log tends to be more informative than the log in Spoon itself, since Spoon tends to not show some types of errors. It also doesn't waste as many resources and disk space as running Spoon in debug mode does.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone!
    Last edited by JoBrad; 02-03-2016 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Added some formatting