Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: release database lock mechanism using pdi-ce-6.0 or below version

Default release database lock mechanism using pdi-ce-6.0 or below version

Hi Sir,Madam,

Please suggest me which step/process are we have in pdi to release Database locks when data is successfully loaded. here is my scenario.

I am using pdi-ce-6.0, java 1.7, windows, MySQL database. the problem is whenever i am trying to load the data using PDI GUI tool then data is loading successfully but database connections locks are not releasing, i.e still it is locking my database. i hope there is process in PDI to release the locks if it is.

if i run jobs using batch file with GUI tool then no issue, but always to run using batch file is not correct approach for every transformation and jobs.

as per my observation we have step called "check files locked" in the same way are we have some approach for database ? Please help me.

Thank you

Somes questions:
    What is your MySQL version?
    Which kind of locks are you talking about and how do tell it's locked?
    Are setting locks by yourself in a script or is it PDI?
    Which step do you use to load data?

I don't understand when say "run batch file with GUI"??

Default release database lock mechanism using pdi-ce-6.0 or below version

for your reference attached the snap shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias.CH View Post
    Somes questions:
    What is your MySQL version?
    MySQL version is 5.6.23-log

Which kind of locks are you talking about and how do tell it's locked?
    Are setting locks by yourself in a script or is it PDI?
    Which step do you use to load data?
    NO, I wasn't kept any locks in a script in PDI. here is my scenario.

generally when we start PDI, it will extract data from SOURCE and loaded to TARGET. once data is loaded to TARGET database then database locks will be released we can see using show processlist command. Detailed images below
    when i ran ETL using bat file( i have created bat file using script and will execute the ETL's without SPOON GUI mode. then MySQL show processlist will be like below.

my .bat file
    d:
    cd /d "D:\data-integration\"
    for /F "tokens=2-4 delims=/ " %%i in ('date /t') do set yyyymmdd=%%k%%i%%j
    call Kitchen.bat /file:\PDI\form\MODEL.kjb /level:basic -logfile=D:\data-integration\LOGS\ETL_JOB_%yyyymmdd%.log
    pause

Name:  without.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  10.0 KB

when i run ETL using SPOON GUI tool(i.e using start button using spoon GUI tool) then even data loaded to target database ,database locks are not releasing because of this reason CPU usage reaching to 100%. i hope you can observe the difference.

Name:  with.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  28.1 KB

I don't understand when say "run batch file with GUI"??
    Thank you
    Last edited by santhi; 11-26-2015 at 03:55 AM. Reason: header was missed

Quote Originally Posted by santhi View Post

when i run ETL using SPOON GUI tool(i.e using start button using spoon GUI tool) then even data loaded to target database ,database locks are not releasing because of this reason CPU usage reaching to 100%. i hope you can observe the difference.

Name:  with.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  28.1 KB
    Hi,

what you see in the processlist when you use Spoon GUI is not database locks (which means tables are locked for write or read operations by a particular session), but it is just opened connections that are idling and waiting for SQL instructions. You can see that the Command column say "Sleep". This should not be a problem, except if you have more and more connections opened each time you run a job in Spoon.
    You would have a real lock if when you send other SQL commands (like insert/update/delete) with a SQL Client, the processlist show you a message like "waiting for read/write lock to be released (something like that).

Do you use connection pooling features in the configuration of the database connections in Spoon / or in the jdbc.properties file for JNDI datasources? If so, this is a normal behaviour since the connection pool will open the database connections needed by your job, but when PDI issues a Connection.close(), the connection is not really closed, but it returns back to the connection pool in this idling state, waiting for another job to reuse theses connections.

As soon as you close Spoon, these will be killed.
    You do not have this behaviour with a batch run, because then the JVM is created just for the batch, and at the end of the job everything is closed.

Finally, if you don't use connection pooling, this may be an odd stuff, like PDI not closing connections.

Finally, second, you can issue a "show open tables" SQL command to see which tables are in use (In_use=1) or have are locked by name (Name_locked=1). You should not have a name_lock even with all these connections opened and sleeping.

Hope this helps!

References:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/...nsactions.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/...ng-issues.html
    (be aware of "metadata locking" feature introduced in MySQL 5.5, you can see many people complaining on that on the web)

Thank you Sir, good information.

I am not using any pooling features in my PDI settings, i was applied "show open tables" and result is: In_use =0 and Name_locked = 0 for all my tables.

i applied below paramaters on Database connection option tab and i am trying how can i use connection pooling technique in PDI. will test once it is done. I hope your suggestion is, better to use connection pooling, then my issue has been resolved. am i correct?

rewriteBatchedStatements=true
    useServerPrepStmts=false
    useCompression=true

Hi,

using connection pooling is good, but will not resolve your "issue", on contrary, having idling connection is what you have with connection pooling!

In fact, I think you don't have an issue at all having these connections opened while designing stuff in Spoon!

The only thing you should test, is if these connections are really closed once you have closed Spoon.

Except for having lot of lines in the processlist, have you had other problems?
    If not, you should forget all of this and not waste any time more on that!

Hi,

using connection pooling is good, but will not resolve your "issue", on contrary, having idling connection is what you have with connection pooling!

In fact, I think you don't have an issue at all having these connections opened while designing stuff in Spoon!
    Yes, as per my observation there is NO issue from PDI perspective but the problem is when the connections are in sleep mode, database machine CPU usage reaching to 100%, this is the MAIN problem for me.

The only thing you should test, is if these connections are really closed once you have closed Spoon.

Except for having lot of lines in the processlist, have you had other problems?
    If not, you should forget all of this and not waste any time more on that!
    YES, when i closed spoon GUI then closing all process list connections.