Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: MongoDB not an option

Default MongoDB not an option

I see that MongoDB is supposed to be a connection option under the "Big Data" section but that is not the case for me. What do I need to do to get this to show so I can connect to our MongoDB database?
    Last edited by amclean; 12-02-2015 at 01:42 PM.

I'm new to Pentaho so any help would be much appreciated. I believe this is the last piece I need to be able to start using Pentaho.

What version of PDI are you using?
    Where are you expecting to see MongoDB?
    How much experience do you have with MongoDB?
    How much experience do you have with PDI?

All of these are relevant questions, and may have restricted the number of answers you have received.

Thanks for the feedback.

1- pdi-ce-6000-353
    2- A coworker of mine has MongoDB show up as an option in the "Big Data" section of the design tab. I have seen it there in tutorials as well. I would also expect it to be an option when you are creating new database connections.
    3- I have no experience with MongoDB but the company I work for uses MongoDB in addition to a MySQL database. My intent is to use Pentaho to understand and relate data from both databases.
    4- I just downloaded Pentaho yesterday at the recommendation of some of my colleagues because it is a great ETL solution.

Quote Originally Posted by amclean View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

1- pdi-ce-6000-353
    Good. This version has the MongoDB input.
    2- A coworker of mine has MongoDB show up as an option in the "Big Data" section of the design tab. I have seen it there in tutorials as well. I would also expect it to be an option when you are creating new database connections.
    You won't see it in the Create new DB connection. It has its own step, called "MongoDB Input" in the Big Data folder.
    3- I have no experience with MongoDB but the company I work for uses MongoDB in addition to a MySQL database. My intent is to use Pentaho to understand and relate data from both databases.
    4- I just downloaded Pentaho yesterday at the recommendation of some of my colleagues because it is a great ETL solution.
    I STRONGLY recommend that you start with the basics, including reading some of the PDI books and understanding how PDI works before getting into some of the less commonly used steps.

I don't see the MongoDB Input that you referenced. I definitely want to learn the basics. Do you recommend any specific books or videos?

Make sure you don't have any filters on the steps list, as it will hide steps that don't meet that filter. I have the MongoDB input in my Big Data folder when I'm designing a Transformation, but not when I'm designing a job. If that's the issue, really take the time to start at the basics.

As for books / videos...
    I learned from an earlier version of https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-an...second-edition
    You may find https://www.packtpub.com/all/?search=kettle%20pentaho to be useful.

Also, look at the samples... They really are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    Make sure you don't have any filters on the steps list, as it will hide steps that don't meet that filter. I have the MongoDB input in my Big Data folder when I'm designing a Transformation, but not when I'm designing a job. If that's the issue, really take the time to start at the basics.

As for books / videos...
    I learned from an earlier version of https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-an...second-edition
    You may find https://www.packtpub.com/all/?search=kettle%20pentaho to be useful.

Also, look at the samples... They really are useful.
    Thank you! I do not have any filters on. I read somewhere today it might be an issue with a "karaf" file but I can't find any details on how to fix it.

I read somewhere today it might be an issue with a "karaf" file but I can't find any details on how to fix it.
    Are you 100% sure you're looking at a Transform, and not a Job?
    They are not the same thing, and have different steps (but some of the same folders)

Name:  ScreenShot.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  16.6 KB

What do you get if you start typing Mongo into the filter box above the step list?

Name:  ScreenShot.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  11.7 KB

Can you download PDI 5.4 and see if you can find it in there?
    I haven't upgraded to PDI 6 yet... But I'd be surprised if it disappeared between versions.

Figured this out finally. Had to move the zip folder to the C: and extract from there rather than where I had them.