Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Oracle OCI driver - connection is OK, but ETL fails when executed

Default Oracle OCI driver - connection is OK, but ETL fails when executed

Hello, I'm trying to use OCI drivers to connect to an Oracle database from PDI. I have created a connection using the wizard, set Oracle/OCI as the type, the name of connection from TNSNAMES.ORA as SID, username and password. I can click "Test" and Spoon says the connection is OK. I can click "Explore" and I can see the tables that exist on the database. But when I run a transformation that uses this connection, I get:

2015/12/03 10:38:53 - Error connecting to database: (using class oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver)
    2015/12/03 10:38:53 - ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor

So I have redefined the connection as Generic JDBC, with a custom JDBC URL jdbc:oracle:oci:@192.168.3.128:1521:xe and driver class oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver. But the behavior and error is still the same.

I am using PDI version 5.4. The database is an Oracle 11g XE running in a virtual machine.

My TNSNAMES.ORA file
    Code:
    ORAVM =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.3.128)(PORT = 1521))
        )
        (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = XE))
      )
    Updated: I have managed to make OCI connection work by using the Generic connection type. The JDBC URL has to end with /xe instead of :xe and then it works in transformations. However, I do not consider this an optimal solution since some Kettle functionality does not work with the Generic driver (e.g. getting a value from DB sequence) and I would still like to know how to make it work as type Oracle/OCI, if you can help me.
    Last edited by Lukfi; 12-03-2015 at 07:03 AM. Reason: fixed jdbc url