Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: help for some tasks

Default help for some tasks

Dear All,

I am very new to Pentaho and I am looking for some help for the follwing tasks.

Task 1: need to implement CSS to Textoutput conversion with following:
    - Input CSV has fields 1,2,3,4 and 5. in the Output Text file I need to add fields 1,2,3 and addition fields 6,7,9.
    - if Input CSV has the fields1 then depending on the vaule of Field1 I from input need to change the value of field1 in output based on mapping
    - is there a way to save images from the HTTP links from the input and save them locally?
    - is it possible to append different data from multiple CSV files?

will be glad to hear any help for the above tasks.

regards,
    Rama

Quote Originally Posted by theperk2 View Post
    I am very new to Pentaho
    I can see that Usually we watch you going a couple of steps and fall, then lend a helping hand. From your questions I get it that you fell before even trying to walk. You really should prepare yourself to work with PDI so you don't have to ask the most basic questions. Did you read the books? Did you read the forum threads, especially the sticky ones? Did you study the sample transformations coming with PDI?

need to implement CSS to Textoutput conversion with following:
    Be careful while typing acronyms - most three-letter-words are already taken and a simple typo can make your question rot without answers, sometimes. CSS is short for Cascading Style Sheet. CSV is what you mean.

- Input CSV has fields 1,2,3,4 and 5. in the Output Text file I need to add fields 1,2,3 and addition fields 6,7,9.
    Adding fields is easily done with the Add-Constants step (category Transform). With a Select-Values step you can arrange, rename, type-convert, and select certain fields.

- if Input CSV has the fields1 then depending on the vaule of Field1 I from input need to change the value of field1 in output based on mapping
    If you don't remember the name of a step, it sometimes helps to type a significant part of the stepname into the quick search edit on top of the design gallery. In your case you should find the Value-Mapper step. Don't forget to clear the quick search when done, else you may wonder where all your steps have gone.

- is there a way to save images from the HTTP links from the input and save them locally?
    Yes, but your question isn't precise enough to give a helpful answer.

- is it possible to append different data from multiple CSV files?
    The Text-Output step comes with a Content option "Append" for that.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hallo Marabu,

thanks a lot once again for your quick help. I just started Pentaho 1 week back and I am still in process of trying all these options.

Regarding question here are more details:

details: customer will provide us in one of the CSV files field 'IMAGE URL' link to the images with following 'https://www.google.de/image.png'. I have to save this image on localdrive and upload to the webspace of onlineshop with FTP connection. here I need help for the following tasks:

- saveing image from ''https://www.google.de/image.png' link to the localdrive ,let us say 'C:\IMAGES'
    - from 'C:\IMAGES' , I have to upload all images to webspace using FTP or any other means

I hope it is clear now. Thanks once again for your great help.

regards,
    Rama

Thanks to Kettle VFS you can use Process-Files to copy a resource to your disk.
    You may want to derive the output filename from a given URL, first.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.