Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: UTF-8 Importing French text

Default UTF-8 Importing French text

Hello

I use the "CSV input" step to import some CSV written in french.
    I selected UTF-8 in the "File encoding" option, however I have some issue when importing words including some "é", "è" or "à"...

When I preview the data this is what can see small "?" instead of the char:

Then when imported in a MySQL database, the char has disappeared.

Do you know wich "File encoding" to choose for French ?

Thank you !
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi,

you need to know what is the encoding of the file, for example open it with
    Notepad++, I think it would say ANSI, which means CP1252 or Windows-1252 (i suppose you're on windows).
    If you're on windows french, you should use ISO-8859-15, it should work fine.

But the question is not really the language, but which encoding was used to write your input file.

PS: je parle français si vous préfèrez!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias.CH View Post
    Hi,

you need to know what is the encoding of the file, for example open it with
    Notepad++, I think it would say ANSI, which means CP1252 or Windows-1252 (i suppose you're on windows).
    If you're on windows french, you should use ISO-8859-15, it should work fine.
    I am also facing same issue and using MySQL database,java 1.7,Windows OS, pdi-ce-6.0. when i am trying to load data from DATABASE to DATABASE(i.e. Table input -> Table Output) then also Chinese data is not populating properly.
    when i use Table input -> text file output and text file input -> table output and when i mentioned utf8 as encoding then data loaded correctly.
    Still, I am trying to understand why it is not loading correct data when i have utf8 settings same available for table and column level in my SOURCE and TARGET database.

But the question is not really the language, but which encoding was used to write your input file.
    if you observe his notes, he mentioned "I selected UTF-8 in the "File encoding" option". please correct me still i understood wrongly.

Last edited by santhi; 12-08-2015 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by santhi View Post

if you observe his notes, he mentioned "I selected UTF-8 in the "File encoding" option". please correct me still i understood wrongly.

Please note that Mathias says that it matters what encoding was used to *WRITE* the file.
    If the file was written in ISO-8859-15, it won't read correctly in UTF8. If a file is written in UTF16, it won't read correctly in UTF8.