Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Data moving into next row when i use text file input step

Default Data moving into next row when i use text file input step

Hi Sir,Madam,

I am facing issue while loading data using steps(Table Input --> Text File output and then Text file input --> Table Output). my problem is my descrption_date column data is moving to next row. i am using below Saparator and enclosure in Text file input step, please suggest me how can i avoid to move data into next row?.

because of this reason i am getting error like : DOS format was specified but only a single line feed character was found, not 2

id; key; type; date1; date2; descrption_date
    548;-1;Warranty ;2015/12/07 00:00:00.000;2015/12/07 00:00:00.000;Reason For Repair
    Description
    549;-1;Support Service ;2015/12/07 00:00:00.000;2015/12/07 00:00:00.000;;Reason For Repair
    Description

Name:  text file.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  24.3 KB

i need to get data as like below in same row. then my etls will run without fail
    id; key; type; date1; date2; descrption_date
    548;-1;Warranty ;2015/12/07 00:00:00.000;2015/12/07 00:00:00.000;Reason For Repair Description
    549;-1;Support Service ;2015/12/07 00:00:00.000;2015/12/07 00:00:00.000;;Reason For Repair Description

which database and which OS are you using ??

why don't you think about issue is with Database ?

sir, i am using MySQL and windows OS, JAVA 1.7 64 bit, pdi-ce-6.0

if you are using MySQL database then you better to replace query with below syntax and try it out, please let me know your update once it is success
    REPLACE(column name, '\n', '')

worked fine sir, Thank you.

still i am trying to understand, issue is with MySQL database or PDI ?

The issue is with the DATA itself.
    Basically some fields within the database contains Carriage Return characters or Line Feed characters.
    Within the database those characters are harmless, but when you export the data fron DB into a text file, then those characters "break" a single data row into two or more rows.
    Basically Santhi suggested to replace every CR or LF character with nothing - so better you check your data.

But I would have done a search in google or in your MySQL manual to understand what that syntax was doing before using it!!
    -- Mick --

I would also ask why you choose not to do Table Input -> Table Output

Yes Gutlez, I can use in this scenario (Table Input -> Table Output).
    But the problem is, i am loading millions of records(totally in my source database i have 10 million records) so when i use
    (Table Input -> Table Output) then

1. Performance will be slow
    2. so many chances are there CPU usage is going to be reach 100% ( why because i am using MySQL database, i have searched in google and MySQL forum, most of the users are facing
    CPU usage problem when they are trying to load millions of records.
    3. whatever i was pointed SOURCE database will be connected by so manu persons in my organization so connectivity issues may occur and temp table space issues wil occur in MySQL

so when i use Table Input -> Text file output and then Text file input -> Table Output, all data will be placed into text file so NO dependency on source database.

I hope my explanation will reach you.

Quote Originally Posted by ranala View Post
    Yes Gutlez, I can use in this scenario (Table Input -> Table Output).
    But the problem is, i am loading millions of records(totally in my source database i have 10 million records) so when i use
    (Table Input -> Table Output) then

1. Performance will be slow

Actually PDI is designed to be very quick with this type of movement.
    2. so many chances are there CPU usage is going to be reach 100% ( why because i am using MySQL database, i have searched in google and MySQL forum, most of the users are facing
    CPU usage problem when they are trying to load millions of records.

I haven't heard of this issue on a simple export from a table. It's unlikely that you need to move 10 million records every day, so restructure your ETL to be more efficient.

3. whatever i was pointed SOURCE database will be connected by so manu persons in my organization so connectivity issues may occur and temp table space issues wil occur in MySQL
    see above comment... You can work out how to do the initial load, and then maintain the data. there's no good reason to be moving 10 million records around in a time sensitive fashion. Data Warehouse is a different issue, but you usually load those during your lowest DB period.

so when i use Table Input -> Text file output and then Text file input -> Table Output, all data will be placed into text file so NO dependency on source database.
    Except that you are scrambling your data, and therefore cannot rely on it to be a true representation of SOURCE.
    Last edited by gutlez; 12-09-2015 at 03:25 PM.

gutlez : Actually PDI is designed to be very quick with this type of movement.

ranala: yes i can agree with you, it is very fast when we use Table input -> Table output, if i am not wrong, Table Input -> Text File Output then Text file input -> Table Output , this is more fast

gutlez : I haven't heard of this issue on a simple export from a table. It's unlikely that you need to move 10 million records every day, so restructure your ETL to be more efficient.

ranala: Sorry to say... who said, every day i am loading 10 millions of records, i haven't used that word anywhere. i got the issue while initial load time.

gutlez : see above comment... You can work out how to do the initial load, and then maintain the data. there's no good reason to be moving 10 million records around in a time sensitive fashion. Data Warehouse is a different issue, but you usually load those during your lowest DB period.

ranala: yes currently i am maintaining ELT's as like Initial data loading, Full loading, Incremental loading using Audit columns(updated_date and Created_date)

gutlez : Except that you are scrambling your data, and therefore cannot rely on it to be a true representation of SOURCE.

ranala: yes i agree with you.
    Last edited by ranala; 12-10-2015 at 06:18 AM.