Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Append multiple CSV files having same fields (but in random order) in a unique Table

Default Append multiple CSV files having same fields (but in random order) in a unique Table

Hello,

I am struggling with a task, maybe you guys can help me out here:

I have a bunch of CSVs files (999+) inside a directory. I would like to append all inside a DB Table. All these files share the same fields (same names, same datatypes) but *(and there is the catch)*, these fields are arranged in different order in each file. Suppose that there are N sets of layouts (A, B, C, ..., N), as pictured bellow:

CSV Headers:
    -------------
    file 1 [layout A]: col_1 , col_2 , col_3 , col_4
    file 2 [layout B]: col_2 , col_1 , col_3 , col_4
    file 3 [layout C]: col_2 , col_4 , col_3 , col_1
    file 4 [layout A]: col_1 , col_2 , col_3 , col_4
    ... ...
    file 999 [layout N]: col_4 , col_3 , col_2 , col_1

Output Table:
    --------------
    [layout A]: col_1 , col_2 , col_3 , col_4

I suppose that I'd have to use the "ETL Metadata Injection" step (the datatypes, length, etc are well-defined), but the difficulty is to define a CSV layout automatically, based on the header, in a step. I could even read all fields as String and after I could use "Select Values" to convert them, but at all situations the problem arises when different name-ordered streams arises in a step.

Can anyone give me a hint to solve this?
    I Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Flavio.
    Last edited by fdaher; 12-09-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typos

How many fields do you have?
    If you have only 4/5 fields than you can parse the first line, see which sequence it is and direct that file to one transformation.
    Obviously you will have to create as many transformations as there are possible sequences.

But you should probably invest some time in checking the Metadata Injection step.
    -- Mick --

Thanks for the reply, Mick!

The CSV file has exactly 22 fields. Your suggestion (parsing csv header then direct to correspondent transformation) is good, but it would work, I presume, just for small values of N... small enough so that is possible to write all the N transformations/inputs. The thing is, these CSV files could virtually come in any of the 22 factorial posibilities... that is more than 10^20 !!

I could define a 'table' containing field names, and all metadata relevant information (that is already well defined for all fields). Then, if I create a Job that iterate through the CSV files, using the parsed header to order the 'metadata table' accordingly, then I am ready to pass the correct metadata to the CSV Input step. And to do so, I imagine that will have to use the 'Metadata Injection' step... that one that I really need to explore deeper, as you pointed

Well, that Job make sense to you? Do you think that something is missing there?

Thank you again... any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Flavio.

Hi Flavio,

as you pointed out, my suggestion would work only if you have a limited number of combinations.

My only suggestion is to test Metadata Injection step - unfortunately I have hardly used it so I cannot help on that but if you do some testing and have a specific issue there will be people in this forum who will be able to help you.
    -- Mick --

Ok Mick,
    I thank you for your attention.

Regards,
    Flavio.