Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Null Exception Error when Connecting Steps

Default Null Exception Error when Connecting Steps

This started. Simple transformation. I can connect a number of steps and then I get the error "An unexpected error occurred in Spoon: null" when connecting.

I attached an screenshot of the simple transformation. I tried a different order of steps and each time it always fails when 2 to 4 steps are attached.
    Name:  trfError.png
Views: 1322
Size:  7.3 KB

The full error message is:
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.trans.TransGraph.addHop(TransGraph.java:1551)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.trans.TransGraph$8.widgetSelected(TransGraph.java:1504)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.readAndDispatch(Spoon.java:1339)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.waitForDispose(Spoon.java:7939)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:9214)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:653)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.commons.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:92)

Any ideas? I have not seen this error previously.

Ray

Even I am getting the same error and I am unable to figure out why it is going wrong. This is my transformation. Can anyone throw some light on when this error occurs?
    Name:  Argument null error.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  29.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by raymueller View Post
    I can connect a number of steps and then I get the error "An unexpected error occurred in Spoon: null" when connecting.
    Ray,

Is "String Operations" fully configured?
    You might get this error when connecting hops if you don have a field type specified for a field... The next step can't figure out what it is.

Did you ever figure this out?

I'm on Windows 10 and Im beginning to wonder if that is the issue at hand. Ive tried on v5.0, v5.4, and v6.0 with no success. I can start with blank transformation connecting csv input to csv output and it still fails.

*EDIT #1*
    I see you came to the same conclusion in this post:
    http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...ght=transgraph

*EDIT #2*
    JIRA ticket open on this.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...67079#32367079

Supported Configurations:
    https://help.pentaho.com/Documentation/5.4/0D0/160/000

Ticket:
    http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-13626
    Last edited by paulnus; 12-24-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paulnus View Post
    *EDIT #2*
    JIRA ticket open on this.
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...67079#32367079
    StackOverflow is NOT Jira. At best, it can be compared to this user forum.

Quote Originally Posted by paulnus View Post
    FYI that is EE documentation. It will tell you about things that you can only have if you have EE.

I have used Spoon on Windows XP, Windows7, Windows Server 2012R2 without issue.
    I don't have Windows8 nor Windows10.

Exclamation

Please excuse a delayed response.

In reference to Gulez, yes the String Operations step was configured.

In the various transformations that I tried, the error happens whenever any number of steps are connected. Sometimes its 2 or 3 steps when it happens. This evening I was working on a transformation where I used a simple Table Input, Database Lookup and when I attached the Filter Rows step I received the error message (screenshot included).

Name:  Spoon2.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  14.9 KB

I can run a transformation that was made previously without an error as long as I do not add steps.

Not to make this more confusing, there is way that I can make a transformation work. Take a look at the next screenshot.

Name:  Spoon3.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  18.4 KB

I can connect the steps as I did here if I connect the database input step to the Dummy step (Yes) and then add the Database lookup and Filter Step by dragging them over the hop. In this example, then I get the error when I attempt to add in a dummy step for the failed path.

Here is what I think so far:
    - The null failure occurs based on the number of steps and not the type of steps attached. I have never gotten past three steps without an error until if I drag and drop them over a hop.
    - Existing transformations run fine as long they do not require modification. I get the error when I attempt to add in a step.
    - I think that this is a Windows 10 issue or a graphics driver. I use Windows 7 and 8 at work which work fine. Kust does not work when I am at home which sucks because I cannot work from home.

I hope that some of this helps.

Thanks
    Ray

Hello,

I have the same problem .
    I use a WIn10 on several machines. only one of them has this error.

I tried to connect all kinds of steps,
    I tried to use 5.4, 6.1 and 7.0

Also it worked fine for several month on this machine and suddenly started with the error.
    Does anyone has a good solution for that?

Thanks
    Steinberg Itamar, CEO of inflow
    author of the PDI course: pentaho kettle tutorial on udemy
    My PDI blog : itamar's blog

Has there been any resolution to this, folks? I am experiencing the same issue when running either PDI 5.4 or 7.1 in Windows 10...

Thanks

I, too, am getting the same error. I found a few JIRA issues, one of them was closed as 'incomplete' by the requester (http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-15029), another is still open with version for fix marked as 'Backlog' (http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-15205).

To me, this is an example of a high priority bug because once you start running into it, there is literally nothing you can do from the interface to complete that ETL. Quitting Spoon, reloading, etc. all fail to stop the error from occurring when you try to add a hop to a step in that particular transformation.

I don't normally post, but since I found a workaround, I thought I would put something up. Today when I encountered this error in a particularly complicated transformation I did not want to completely recreate, I finally broke down and opened up the .ktr file for the transformation in Notepad++. It's formatted a lot like XML. If you scroll down the file a ways, you'll encounter a section <order></order> that has a bunch of <hop> objects in it. Since I couldn't create a hop using Spoon between two steps, I just manually entered a new line in the <order> section that described the hop I wanted to create:

<hop> <from>Filter rows 3</from><to>Select values 3</to><enabled>Y</enabled> </hop>

I saved the .ktr file and then re-opened it in Spoon. The hop was there! I was able to change options in my steps and run my transformation successfully after that.

So this is literally just a bug in Spoon; it's not that the user is trying to create an invalid hop. Good luck to all of you who still have to fight this.

Ed

To answer a question with a question: Did anyone of you guys open a Jira case for this?
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Is this problem solved to any of you guys?, if so, please share the solution. It seems to be a problem with Windows 10 only.
    Thanks!

Does anyone has any idea whats wrong with my database connection? I found it everytime I try to connect to my database in Spoon.
    For the information, I use windows 10, jdk version 9, navicat for MySQL, and kettle version 5.4. Do I need to change my DBMS application to SQL Yog as it written in the manual book I have? Profoundly thank you.

Name:  error in database connection.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  34.5 KBName:  error in database connection.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  34.5 KB

The insert image tool button is meant for images, not for screenshots.
    If you want us to read your screenshots, keep them small enough to avoid lossy image compression by the forum software, or zip and attach them as files in advanced editor mode.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.