Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to add a JavaScript library to Pentaho (For modified JS step)

Default How to add a JavaScript library to Pentaho (For modified JS step)

I want to add a javascript library (moment.js for super annoying time zone issues) to Pentaho so I can use its built in functions for timezone conversion.

What's the best way to do this?

I feel like dumping it in a JS step in a transformation is counterproductive, but ... any advice?

Why? Janino natively supports timezones. You can enter dates/times in one timezone, and it will translate them to display in your local timezone.

You're saying use the Java scripting step? I'm a bit of a novice with Java but I can give it a whirl.

But please note ... I want to convert UTC time to CST timezone --- NOT the local timezone. Our ETL servers and databases are located in Europe.

So I don't want (timezone A) ---> (local timezone) .... I want (timezone A) ---> (timezone B).

It happens to be UTC to CST, but yeah.

The example script in the JavaScript step shows how to set the date time with a TimeZone:

// str2date(var, var, var, var);
    // 1: String - The Variable with the String to convert.
    // 2: String - The Format:
    // 3: String - The Locale Parameter
    // An valid ISO Language Code. (DE = German, EN = English, FR = France, ...)
    // 4: String - The Timezone Parameter.
    // A valid timezone: EST, GMT, ... (if invalid GMT will be selected as default)

Alert(str2date("22.02.2008 23:23:01","dd.MM.yyyy HH:mm:ss","DE", "EST"));

Note also that you can run your PDI instance in another TimeZone, but passing parameters to Java in the batch file / shell script that starts PDI (specifically -Duser.timezone= )