Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: What Determines Job Entry success or fail? (aka does ANY error through a fail?)

Default What Determines Job Entry success or fail? (aka does ANY error through a fail?)

I'm just wondering. I have a job that has a few SQL and transformation entries.

I have a few of these (unrelated) for ETL processes ... jobs.

I wanted to create a "master job" that basically runs each of these jobs, and sends out an email/ notification if any of the jobs fail.

So I'm wondering ... does ANY error cause a job entry to fail? (such as its sub transformations, etc) -- or if you have a black dotted line to the next transformation (so it runs if the previous one fails too) ... and the most recent step, or transformation, is a success, do this make the ENTIRE entry a success?

Also wondering about the 'success' step .... this is explicitly to set up (if you get here, this is a success, no matter the errors) ... or what?

Thanks for the insight.

In my experience (I haven't looked at the code), any unhandled error results in a Job ending in error.

An unconditional or a "on fail" hop in a job is considered to be a handled error, so that job would report success.

Thanks gutlez. Good to know.

I have a logging step in case an error is thrown; but I think this will cause the job as a whole to be read as a success. Is there a step that is "opposite" of the "success" job entry?

Would the 'abort job' step be the opposite? I am not sure.

EDIT: Duh I can just test it myself. Yes it appears if that last step is success after a "errored out" step that progresses with a red line hop, the job is ultimately deemed a success. The 'abort job' step seems to be the reverse of the success entry, automatically flagging an error/ job failure if it's the last step in a sequence.
    Last edited by cool_runnings; 12-29-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_runnings View Post
    Thanks gutlez. Good to know.

I have a logging step in case an error is thrown; but I think this will cause the job as a whole to be read as a success. Is there a step that is "opposite" of the "success" job entry?

Would the 'abort job' step be the opposite? I am not sure.
    Yep abort job is opposite of success entry (works in transformations too)