Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Job Entry Branching -- If you have two outbound hops, which hop is followed first?

Default Job Entry Branching -- If you have two outbound hops, which hop is followed first?

Hi there--

Obviously the default (and probably preferred) behavior of job entries is that they happen sequentially.

So when you have a path A->B and another path A->C ----- how does Pentaho determine which one happens first? Is it the hop you literally built first? Does an unconditional hop happen before a 'success' hop?

I'm interested.

This is particularly interesting when one of the paths is a loop (with a conditional box that will make it loop 5 times).

Currently I have a job that goes A->B and
    A->C->(did C happen 5 times? not yet? then) -> A

Essentially what happens currently is that A occurs, then B occurs, THEN C occurs, then A occurs again, then B, then C, then A ... and on.

This is what I would like to happen, but I fear if I make some changes, something goofy might happen.

Hi,

Not sure but i think it occurs in order of the creation of the hops.
    Guess you should not rely on this to sequence your jobs!

But in your case, why not do A-> B-> C-> (test for loop ) -> A ?
    Since you want always this order?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias.CH View Post
    Not sure but i think it occurs in order of the creation of the hops.
    Hops are added to a List when created, and that List is iterated to retrieve the successors of a job entry.
    Since a list is an ordered collection, the next job entries will be started in the same order the hops were created.

I second your advice to not rely on this purely internal contract.
    Would be bad practice, not prefessional, a violation of the information hiding principle.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Hops are added to a List when created, and that List is iterated to retrieve the successors of a job entry.
    Since a list is an ordered collection, the next job entries will be started in the same order the hops were created.

I second your advice to not rely on this purely internal contract.
    Would be bad practice, not prefessional, a violation of the information hiding principle.
    How would I achieve this instead then?

As Mathias pointed out, why not do A->B->C->(test for loops)->A?

The answer is simple. C is a logging step. It fires no matter what. Returning to A though should require B success.

Therefore the hop to C is unconditional. But the hop from B should be success only. That why the single branch option doesn't exactly work.

Can we have a bit of clarity on the duties of job entry C, first?
    You say C is for logging, but you also said C is for loop control.
    So what exactly does C?
    Maybe you have to switch from foot-controlled-loop (as Mathias suggested) to head-controlled (where C is running before A).

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Can we have a bit of clarity on the duties of job entry C, first?
    You say C is for logging, but you also said C is for loop control.
    So what exactly does C?
    Maybe you have to switch from foot-controlled-loop (as Mathias suggested) to head-controlled (where C is running before A).

My mistake; I mixed up B and C.

B is for logging.

A is the basic ETL process --- once that's complete I want B to fire no matter what immediately after --- it will log the success or failure of A, errors, inserts, log_text, etc.

Then C checks if we need to run A again (depending on if we have another page of data).

So A->B is unconditional, yet I don't want A->C to be unconditional (don't want to loop if there is some issue).

I suppose I could go A->B->(check if Number of Errors variable from A > 0) -> C -> A. That would keep it linear.

Quote Originally Posted by cool_runnings View Post
    My mistake; I mixed up B and C.

B is for logging.

A is the basic ETL process --- once that's complete I want B to fire no matter what immediately after --- it will log the success or failure of A, errors, inserts, log_text, etc.

Then C checks if we need to run A again (depending on if we have another page of data).

So A->B is unconditional, yet I don't want A->C to be unconditional (don't want to loop if there is some issue).

I suppose I could go A->B->(check if Number of Errors variable from A > 0) -> C -> A. That would keep it linear.
    So you just need to set two path: one success path and one error path, depending on result of A:
    Sucess path: A --if success---> B--unconditional--> C---A.
    Error path: A (same entry) --- if error ---> B (another one) --> abort job.

Here is an alternative design for loop control.
    Duplication of entries is avoided by saving the execution result for later.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you both -- I think I prefer the non duplicate entries, but the idea that I shouldn't really hide step order info was a good one. I will reconfigure, thanks.