Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Performance of Execute Row SQL Script

Default Performance of Execute Row SQL Script

Hi ,

I want to understand how "execute row SQL Script" executes each SQL which it received from a field? Whether it executes all the SQL's stored in various rows of a field in sequential order or executes all of the SQL's in parallel?

Thanks in advance!!

Regards
    Kritika

Hi.

Kettle's architecture includes parallel processing for all transformation steps as one of its core features. So yes, it's processed in parallel.

You can see from this FAQ: http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...sformations%3F
    Best Regards,

Hugo Cerqueira
    Business Intelligence / Data Warehouse Analyst

Hi Hugo,

Yes , that I have read that each step in a transformation executes in parallel. That means all steps starts its execution at the same time. But what about a step in itself.
    Lets take an example : "Execute Row SQL Script" got 10 rows to execute from previous step.
    Now what will it do? Do it executes all 10 steps in one go or execute one after the another?

Thanks fro replying !!
    Regards
    Kritika

I see.

That depends on how you set up your step. You can change the number of copies this step will have, so that they are processed in parallel (If you right click the step and select 'change the number of copies to start').

Remind that this feature should be used with caution: if you set this option for steps that use the 'group by' clause, you'll need to set a partition schema for it too. Otherwise, you may have unexpected results. That's not the case of 'Execute row SQL script', however.
    Best Regards,

Hugo Cerqueira
    Business Intelligence / Data Warehouse Analyst