Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: passing NULL as a Parameter in DB Call Procedure

Exclamation passing NULL as a Parameter in DB Call Procedure

Hi All,

Relatively new to pentaho and i am trying to get a job to run a database stored procedure. Ive struggled through lots of other posts and got to a place now where it is trying to run the procedure but getting the error

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character to number conversion error
    ORA-06512: at line 1

THe issue is that the procedure has 3 arguments, but i would like the first two to be NULL. I currently have a set that is placing NULL inaide a parameter. It seems as though Pentaho is treating this as a string so when running it is PROCEDURE('NULL','NULL','14-JAN-2016).

Is there a way i can get pentaho to run this as PROCEDURE(NULL,NULL,'14-JAN-2016')?

THe procedure runs fine with these parameters in SQL Developer or sqlplus.

THanks
    Gareth

Hi,

1. Which step do you use?
    2. Have you used a variable or a sql parameter and a field (with ? in your query?)

If you use a sql parameter with a field, i.e. with ?, just set a null value in the field (i mean not "null" text value,
    but an empty field).
    If you use variable, you have something like
    PROCEDURE ('${var}'.....)
    So if the variable is set as null text, it translate to 'null' so still a string.
    If you write PROCEDURE( ${var}.....) it will work with var=null, but then will not work with real text value,
    because of missing quotes.

So, you could do
    PROCEDURE ( if ( ''='${var}', null, '${var}'),.....)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias.CH View Post
    Hi,

1. Which step do you use?
    2. Have you used a variable or a sql parameter and a field (with ? in your query?)

If you use a sql parameter with a field, i.e. with ?, just set a null value in the field (i mean not "null" text value,
    but an empty field).
    If you use variable, you have something like
    PROCEDURE ('${var}'.....)
    So if the variable is set as null text, it translate to 'null' so still a string.
    If you write PROCEDURE( ${var}.....) it will work with var=null, but then will not work with real text value,
    because of missing quotes.

So, you could do
    PROCEDURE ( if ( ''='${var}', null, '${var}'),.....)
    i forgot: and then set var as empty