Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Impact Analysis: Get the impacted list of kettle files with step or job entry names

Default Impact Analysis: Get the impacted list of kettle files with step or job entry names

Is there any out of the box feature available in kettle, by which one can get the output containing list of kettle files (both transformations and jobs) along with step name / job entry name containing a particular text pattern / string ?

The requirement is that when an issue is encountered in production and suppose the analysis leads the suspect to a field named "field_1" (it can be a field or table or any text on which a search is to be performed). If a kettle user has to identify the list of transformations / jobs and the step name or job entry name in those impacted transformations or jobs correspondingly which contains that field_1, so as to troubleshoot / spot the issue in a rapid manner. This would be very beneficial in terms of reducing troubleshooting time when there are several transformations / Jobs and when each transformation contains several steps or a job contains several job entries in it.

If such feature is available, please provide the version on which it is available and the link / document containing the steps to achieve the same.

Thanks!!!

I created a series of transformations that parsed jobs and transformations to find dependencies between them, as well as any used connections. You could do something similar to find all steps that input or output data to a database. It might be tricky to determine whether your exact field is being used, unless you have some regex or other procedure for determining that.

If you do get a complete solution for this, I would love to see an overview.

Quote Originally Posted by JoBrad View Post
    I created a series of transformations that parsed jobs and transformations to find dependencies between them, as well as any used connections. You could do something similar to find all steps that input or output data to a database. It might be tricky to determine whether your exact field is being used, unless you have some regex or other procedure for determining that.

If you do get a complete solution for this, I would love to see an overview.
    Hi,

Are your jobs and transformations free to use ?
    (And available somewhere ?)

Hi Sylvain,
    You have the Automatic Documentation Output step for something you can adapt for your own needs, but I suggest you google "Kettle cookbook" for something already made that it just works for most steps. The blogs from the time refer to the google code page, but it's now available at github.
    Regards
    Java: Openjdk 1.8.0_131
    Pentaho 6.1 CE

Hi

Thank you very much for your reply !

Sylvain