Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Interpretation of cfssubseteval with Genetic Search in WEKA

Lightbulb Interpretation of cfssubseteval with Genetic Search in WEKA

Dear All,

I have carried out feature selection on my training set using genetic search with the evaluator cfsSubsetEval. However i am a little confused with the output from the generations in WEKA and how this ties in with the final subset selected and outputted in WEKA.

Using this procedure i obtain 65 features. However none of these features in this combination are present in my last generation (20 populations). So i am wondering how WEKA got to these 65 features when the cfssubset evaluates a subset as a whole and not individual features? Surely it would select the subset in my final generation with the highest merit?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards
    Danielle
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dnewby; 02-10-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Hi everyone,
    I have worked this out i think! There is a setting on cfsSubsetEval called locally predictive which default is TRUE. This parameter allows additional features to be added to the best subset from the genetic search. The definition is: “Identify locally predictive attributes. Iteratively adds attributes with the highest correlation with the class as long as there is not already an attribute in the subset that has a higher correlation with the attribute in question”.

Yes, this is probably the case. It could also be the case that the best subset was found in an earlier generation. The search continues for max generations and retains the best subset found at any time during the search (not just in the last generation).

Cheers,
    Mark.

Thanks Mark!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yes, this is probably the case. It could also be the case that the best subset was found in an earlier generation. The search continues for max generations and retains the best subset found at any time during the search (not just in the last generation).

Cheers,
    Mark.