Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Help me understand community edition

Question Help me understand community edition

On the Pentaho website, under community, I click the BA Platform. It redirects me to a download site and starts downloading BI server. I then clicked the Pentaho link below and downloaded pdi-ce-6.0. This includes spoon, crate, and kitchen. It would seem that I have the BI community version, but I need the BA community edition. I need to be able to create a custom dashboard with maps and charts. Is what I downloaded the correct thing for what I am looking to do? I will also need to connect to AWS Redshift to get data.
    So you can get the big picture of that we are trying to do. The client wants us to connect a Pentaho BI front end to their back end API through a live data stream hosted on Amazon's cloud. We would appreciate any tips, as we are time boxed on this project and really not sure about many things.

Right now our idea is Pentaho queries hitting a web API we create, connected to a consumer application we design hosted on an EC2 instance that queries their database, which gives us a JSON object, which goes into a Kenesis Firehose, is pulled out by Lambda code into S3, transferred into Redshift, and then visualized in Pentaho.

Please get back to me on what i need to download and how to get started in the right direction.

You have a lot going on in that small time window. Some things to perhaps make life easier. Check out https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/pp/B01604EBY0?sr=0-6 where they have a Pentaho 5.4 CE BA Server that is already setup and can be launched straight away in Amazon. Once up and running, you want to use the Marketplace to install Ctools (CDE community dashboard editor, and other modules). Some of them come with samples. You can google for blogs (http://type-exit.org/adventures-with-open-source-bi) is a great one.

It is possible to use Pentaho Data Integration tranformations as a datasource within CDE. So if you need the platform to issue queries, transform the data and hand it back to the dashboard in a regular rows x columns result set so charts etc work, that's a way you can go. Otherwise you can do the traditional use PDI to hit APIs, persist the output in the database of your choice and do more vanilla style SQL from a dashboard to make that stuff pop up.

Good luck!

I followed your link and started using Pentaho BA server, I was gaining access by typing the IP address followed by :8080. That was working fine up until today, i could never gain access to the dashboard through the URL. Connection refused and time-out errors were my problems even though everything worked fine earlier. All ports (80 and 8080) are added and the security settings are correct as well. Can you please shed some light on what I might be doing wrong/need to do or was Pentaho just down today. Thank you

Sometimes this has more to do with Amazon than something else. If you did not change any of the internal configuration files of Pentaho in that instance. Just stop it in amazon, and start it again, it should come up and work. You can usually set something on the instance like a notification, which detects if the machine is unreachable, then restart it. You'd need to have DNS resolving to a public IP address, then update web.xml inside the server to refer to the server using that DNS name instead of an IP. Those tutorials were written a few Pentaho versions ago, so the URLs to edit and view dashboards have changed a little bit. What I suggest is opening some of the sample dashboards. If you do not see one on 5.4 then go to the marketplace and reinstall CDE and it should come with samples. install all the ctools while you're at it. It really does take restarting the server for things to work.