Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Parameterize Database Connection Details

Question Parameterize Database Connection Details

Hi Everyone...

I am very new PDI/Kettle, but I like what I am seeing so far.

I am trying to setup a simple DB to DB copy. Query one DB and take the results to another. Pretty straightforward. In fact, by hardcoding the db info for both the source and destination, I can get it to work.

Now, how can I parameterize the DB connection info? I created the connection and I specify the password there. I know I can use variables/parameters for things like host, port, db name, etc by specify the name like this: ${db_name}. But when specifying the password in the UI, its all just ********, which is good... since plain text is bad. I just dont know how to tell the DB Connection to use the parameter for the password.

Does it make sense what I am asking for?

Thanks

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rickschneider17 View Post
    I just dont know how to tell the DB Connection to use the parameter for the password.

Does it make sense what I am asking for?
    Makes complete sense.
    You can specify it the exact same way.. type in ${db_pw} ... Just don't typo, since you won't be able to see what it is (unless you read the XML of the KTR)

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    Makes complete sense.
    You can specify it the exact same way.. type in ${db_pw} ... Just don't typo, since you won't be able to see what it is (unless you read the XML of the KTR)
    Hmm... so it is just that easy? I have looked at the XML, and for the password it has ENCRYPTED, so I was afraid it wouldnt work. AWESOME!

Thanks so much!

And if you set the variable to the same "ENCRYPTED H3XAD3C1MAL" string, then PDI will merrily use it (you don't need to give it the plain-text password)