Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Dimension lookup/update preventing an update

Default Dimension lookup/update preventing an update

Hi,

I am having a strange problem and I am suspecting that a component 'Dimension lookup/update' is locking rows for update in the last component. Transformation consist of following elements:

Name:  000357.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  9.3 KB

When 'Update ETL_ID' is moved to another transformation everything works fine.

ps: last step in transformation was added because I have not found a solution how to insert an etl_id into the dimension lookup component.

Thank you

Depending on the Commit size configured in the Dimension-Lookup/Update step I sure would expect lock conflicts with your design.
    But I wonder what's exactly happening in that SQL Script.
    Do you really need it to execute for each row?
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Probably this is the issue. The last component is a simple update that sets the batch_no for rows that were inserted in the last run. If there would be a way how to setup current batch_no inside "Dimension lookup/update" this step could be left out.

Another change that I want to track are deleted records from the source. I have done this operation manually with a new sql step but with an overhead of doing another read from the source and target table. Would you maybe suggest any other design pattern how to effectively track I/U/Deletes?

Quote Originally Posted by mertez View Post
    If there would be a way how to setup current batch_no inside "Dimension lookup/update" this step could be left out.
    I never used that DWH step myself, but from a quick look I would think that if you bring the batch number as a field you should be able to write it to the table, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mertez View Post
    Another change that I want to track are deleted records from the source.
    Are we really discussing data warehousing and a dimension table? My understanding is that you seldom delete rows from a dimension, because there always could be a fact referencing it.
    Or are you just using the step for convenience and there's no DWH in sight, just plain old table synchronization with a twist (batch number)?
    Maybe you would benefit from the Merge-Rows step in that case.
    I frequently use Merge-Join to get a full outer join to keep all fields from both streams for logging purposes.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.