Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Using Named Parameters as Variables

Default Using Named Parameters as Variables

Hi,My understanding is that named parameters can be used in much the same way as variables throughout your transformation/job. I'm aware of the distinction between defining variables (via set variables step or kettle.properties) vs. defining named parameters (via job/transformation settings dialog) but I was under the impression that they could then be referenced in much the same way.In my particular case, I'm defining a named parameter in a parent job, and then trying to access it in a child transformation using a table input step where I dereference it with the usual syntax: ${}. I'm certain this is correct usage but it seems that the named parameter is not visible for some reason. I've ticked the box to pass it down to the sub-job/transformation but still no joy. No doubt this is an obvious oversight / misunderstanding on their usage on my part so I'd appreciate some assistance.Thanks

Did you define the parameter in the transformation properties dialog?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukfi View Post
    Did you define the parameter in the transformation properties dialog?
    Yes, I've tried the following procedure:

To define the parameter using the parameters tab on both a job entry and transformation dialog box. I've also ticked the box to pass all parameters down to the sub-job/transformation. Further, I've even added the parameter to the child transformation to pass it down to its grandchild. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Yes, I've tried the following procedure:

To define the parameter using the parameters tab on both a job entry and transformation dialog box. I've also ticked the box to pass all parameters down to the sub-job/transformation. Further, I've even added the parameter to the child transformation to pass it down to its grandchild. Any ideas?
    Ok so I've figured out what needs to happen and I must say it's absolutely NOT clear when reading the documentation. I'll be sure to add this to the wiki for others to benefit:

When defining a named parameter in a parent job/transformation via the dialog, you must also specify it explicitly in the child job/transformation. Otherwise, it is not visible. There's absolutely no reason to expect this and it was a pain to figure out. "Pass down to sub-job/transformation" rather makes one think that this will work without further action but clearly not.

It's also strange because you can further reference/dereference these parameters as variables in grand children jobs/transformations despite not defining them explicitly. You define them in the parent and child and then they are somehow "global". Very strange behaviour.

Over and out.

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    When defining a named parameter in a parent job/transformation via the dialog, you must also specify it explicitly in the child job/transformation. Otherwise, it is not visible.
    This is contrary to my daily experience.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.