Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Querying for Duplicate Usernames

Default Querying for Duplicate Usernames

Hi everyone, I've been struggling with this particular issue for a few weeks (on/off) and I'm at my wits end.

I am pulling user data from an Oracle database, transforming the various fields and am going to populate Active Directory.

The issue I am having is with checking for duplicate usernames. I cannot find a way to check my generated username against any LDAP source. Everything I've tried ends up doing a JOIN (stream lookups, etc), which drops out records that I want. It's certainly possible I'm doing something incorrectly, but I've tried just about everything.

In short, I want to check the generated usernames against existing records in AD/LDAP and then proceed to add a '1' to the username, check AD, add '2', check AD, etc.

My kettle file is attached (though I removed any connection passwords), and I'm using PDI 6.0.0.0

Thanks in advance!
    --Ben
    Attached Files Attached Files

When provisioning user accounts with Kettle, I don't test for collisions, I just prevent them.
    From the user store (AD) I gather the existing accounts and split the userid (sAMAccountName) to get the username and the collision counter.
    Using Group-By I build a dictionary that returns the highest counter for each username.
    By joining existing accounts to employees (students) by employeeNumber I learn about new users - they are those whose employeeNumber isn't associated with an existing account.
    Now I generate usernames and use Add-Value-Fields-Changing-Sequence to generate a preliminary collision counter starting from 1, which I later increase by the previously found highest counter before I attach the final collision counter to the generated username.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thank you!
    There's always another way to approach the same problem. I'll give this a try and see where I end up.