Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: output fields problem

Default output fields problem

I am trying to get the name of the Excel file I am using. This value should be present in the "short filename" field the "Get File Names Step" provides.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  36.1 KB

After extracting the data from the excel input step I can see this field present as an input field and also the names of the columns I am getting from the file. However when I want to use it I am getting this error:

Name:  error.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  16.7 KB

It is not an error in the query, I have tested it. It seems like if the field was not there at all after processing the excel file.

You have to take in account that a transformation works paralel. So even if youre Execute SQL script is last in line, it doesnt mean that it is executed as last.
    I think the problem is that sql scripts is faster as the step to get the filename. So then the step cant find this field yet

From what I recall, the MS Excel Step doesn't allow pass-thru fields in the way that steps like "Get Variables" does.
    Go to the "Additional Output Fields" tab of the MS Excel Input step, and put a new column name in the "Short Filename Field" box (Something like short_filename1) and then you can use it later in the stream.