Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Move multiple PDF's securely

Default Move multiple PDF's securely

Hi all,

I am currently developing a Job which has to copy multiple PDF files to another location. At first i thought this was easy, but then my boss came and said it wasnt good enough.
    Here is my setup:

I have a Table Input which collects all the document paths i need. These paths are set into Result with: Set filenames in result.
    Then i have a job which moves all these files to a local folder. Next step is ZIP all these files an put it to a FTP server.

At the other side a job picks up this ZIP file and unzip it. Then this client can use the PDF's i send him.

Pretty easy right?

My boss only thinks this isnt secure enough. He likes to see if i can lock the ZIP file with a password(Static) and then my client uses this Password to unlock the zip.
    He also suggested if that isnt possible; to lock every individual PDF with a password(static) and then send the individual PDF to my Client using FTP.
    I tried google, i tried command line programs but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone has a suggestion how i can accomplish this? Am i missing an option in Spoon?
    I am using Pentaho 5.4 and my client also uses Pentaho 5.4

Thanks in advance!

Hi.
    My personal suggestion is to create a batch file and use 7zip to create the password protected archives.
    You can use a Shell step within a job to launch the 7zip process and when it's done the FTP step to move/copy files.
    -- Mick --

If you are going to go to that route, then you should look at the tools available in Google to crack a ZIP file password (From recollection, ZIP file passwords are pretty easy to defeat)

So...
    ZIP the files, Then use the "Encrypt with PGP" step to encrypt the file. *THEN* send it with FTP or SFTP.
    Your client will need to retreive the file, Decrypt it, and then unzip it.

That will make it secure, as long as you use a key with sufficient strength.

Gutlez,
    in 7-zip you can encrypt using different algorithm, one of which is AES.
    -- Mick --