Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: connection to database for the whole session

Default connection to database for the whole session

Hi,

I am working with Pentaho Data Integration Community.

I am creating a transformation and I create a database connection to a MySQL database. The connection works well, but when I create a second transformación and I am using a database step I can't select the database connection that I have created for the first transformation.
    It seems like a database connection is related to a single transformation, but... how can I create a database connection for all objects of my session?
    For example, I can select AgileBI (the connection of the installation) from every transformation or jobs

Thanks

Hi,

you seem not to work with a repository, but only files. In this case, each transformation/job maintains its own liste of connections.
    You then need to "share" the connection. Go to tab View > Transformations > your transformation > Database connections > your connection --> right click -> Share.
    The connection name should then be bold. It actually creates a copy of the connection definition in the file in .kettle/shared.xml such that the connection is shared by all transformations.

But instead of doing that, work with a repository!
    Create a file repository for start. Tools> repository > connect > + button > Kettle file repository > give it a name and chose a root directory.
    In a repository, every connection are shared by all objects. Moreover, you can now explore the repository and do imports/exports.