Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Slow ness in PDI-CE-6.1

Default Slow ness in PDI-CE-6.1

Hi,

I am trying to open PDI application but it is very slow comparatively older versions(i.e. pdi-ce-6.0). Assuming because of more plug-ins added in latest version (6.1).

If it is NOT the case, could you please tell me how can i achieve this slowness issue.

windows,java 1.7, File repository,MySQL database.

Thanks,
    Ranala

I am also having the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ranala View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to open PDI application but it is very slow comparatively older versions(i.e. pdi-ce-6.0). Assuming because of more plug-ins added in latest version (6.1).

If it is NOT the case, could you please tell me how can i achieve this slowness issue.

windows,java 1.7, File repository,MySQL database.

Thanks,
    Ranala

Can you put any numbers on that? When I do x, it takes y instead of z seconds to do abc?

hello Martin_K, i didn't understand your question. Sorry my bad luck.

I think this is about just slow start of Spoon (several minutes). In our case that was because there wasn't a direct internet connection (firewall) that karaf framework is trying to use. Can be solved by removing kettle-lifecycle-listeners.xml and kettle-registry-extensions.xml from classes directory.

Quote Originally Posted by len0x View Post
    In our case that was because there wasn't a direct internet connection (firewall) that karaf framework is trying to use. Can be solved by removing kettle-lifecycle-listeners.xml and kettle-registry-extensions.xml from classes directory.
    Holy cow... I hadn't heard that Karaf workaround before (removing/renaming those XMLs)... just tried it for giggles, and Spoon launched *CRAZY* quick! Wow, wow, wow!

What are implications of this kind of workaround? What kind of set ups or scenarios would this not be good for?

Some other tips on improving startup speed of Spoon:

* ESAPI configuration (search the forum for past threads).
    - during bootup, many seconds are spent looking for ESAPI configuration files if you don't have it set up appropriately
    - workaround: greatest decrease in boot time comes when inserting ESAPI.properties and validation.properties files directly into esapi-2.0.1.jar (place them into /org/owasp/esapi/)
    - naturally don't muck about with this workaround for production machines / existing ESAPI configurations

* Improperly initialized plugins
    - recently saw an issue where many seconds were spent due to an error in locating a .png for a plugin step's thumbnail!
    - thumbnail was inside the plugin .jar, however for some reason bootup was looking for the image in a different directory. Workaround was to extract the .png from the .jar and place it in the target directory.

To help troubleshoot what is eating up time during Spoon start-up: run SpoonDebug.bat / SpoonDebug.sh and enable boot logging to text file. Useful even if no errors when booting Spoon. Look through the timestamps and log for obvious errors.
    Last edited by adamnyc; 11-16-2016 at 11:54 AM.
    My runtime environment: MacOS, JDK 1.8u121, PDI 7.0

Quote Originally Posted by adamnyc View Post
    What are implications of this kind of workaround? What kind of set ups or scenarios would this not be good for?
    I'm not sure actually. From my (limited) understanding the framework is used to load plugins on the fly, so good for connecting to marketplace to get new plugins or refresh local ones when you developing it. But if you are using static local distribution then its not needed (at least I haven't found a use for it). We have done this since version 6 without any issues...

The actual wait is actually for this:

ERROR [KarafLifecycleListener] The Kettle Karaf Lifecycle Listener failed to execute properly after waiting for 100 seconds. Releasing lifecycle hold, but some services may be unavailable.

I haven't found a way to supply proxy settings to karaf to avoid the timeout...