Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Creating/Converting .arff files

Default Creating/Converting .arff files

Hello everyone,

I'm new to weka and I'm trying to convert some .txt files to .arff format.
    For example the brown corpus: http://www.sls.hawaii.edu/bley-vroman/brown_corpus.html

I've tried using this tool for the task: http://weka.wikispaces.com/Text+cate...tion+with+WEKA

But when I try to use the provided command "java weka.core.converters.TextDirectoryLoader -dir text_example > text_example.arff" I get
    the following error: Main class weka.core.converters.TextDirectoryLoader can't be found or loaded.

(I'm using Windows 7 x64 and Weka 3.9.0 developer version, opened the command prompt, navigated to the folder which contains my subfolder with the .txt file and entered this command)

I also tried the same with the weka explorer: Open File -> Chose the folder with the subfolder (with .txt) -> After error message I chose TextDirectoryLoader -> Click ok with provided parameters

Unfortunately I only get a .arff file with 1kb this way...

Is there a better way to convert a .txt file to a .arff file? Am I doing something wrong with the TextDirectoryLoader?

I hope someone can help me because it would take me weeks to create the .arff files on my own
    Thanks in advance!

The TextDirectoryLoader expects individual documents to be housed in separate files contained within a directory that corresponds to the class for that collection of documents. It looks like your browns corpus is one giant file - so you'll need to split it up into individual documents first.

Cheers,
    Mark.