Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho Reporting Output

Question Pentaho Reporting Output

Hi all,

I had tested this step for few of my transformation. And its PDF output seems really cool.
    But I Found an issue in it, I don't know, this is a bug or some kind of sync issue with my DB, But whenever I tries to send a batch of IDs (means whenever I ran transformation with more than one records) to print their respective data in different PDF (One for each ID), some times only one PDF have proper data in it rest all generates with 0 KB file size, and some time all will generate with 0 KB file size. It shows very random behavior on a batch of IDs.
    But when ever I tests the transformation with single ID it generates absolutely accurate output.

I searched for this on many places but didn't found anything like this happening with any body.
    Do anybody knows here why is this step is so Inconsistent in real life scenarios?
    Do anybody thinks that there will be any problem in my .ktr file?

Thanks

No solutions from my end, unfortunately. I get a similar behavior with PDI's Excel Writer output step (when passing a batch of writes to different documents).

I've hypothesized that it is due to system utilization or file system read/write issues. It has helped me to put a 'Delay Row' step in the stream that goes to the output. I delay each row (each ID in your case) by 5 or 10 seconds (the expected time it takes my next steps to do their write-out).

This has brought the frequency of the issue down very much for me, but not completely eliminated it. Again, this is more of a workaround than a solution.
    My runtime environment: MacOS, JDK 1.8u121, PDI 7.0

Can you please try what happens if you set the "Nr. of rows in rowset" in the transformation settings to 1 ?
    We faced totally the same effect and assumed the "Reporting Output Step" not to be able to process multiple reports in parallel.

I would really be interested in the result

There is already a JIRA case for that. Add a vote to the case, maybe it helps to accelerate the fix :
    http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-14553

Last edited by pfabrici; 08-11-2016 at 03:40 AM.

Lightbulb Thanks For Idea... :)

Quote Originally Posted by pfabrici View Post
    Can you please try what happens if you set the "Nr. of rows in rowset" in the transformation settings to 1 ?
    We faced totally the same effect and assumed the "Reporting Output Step" not to be able to process multiple reports in parallel.

I would really be interested in the result

There is already a JIRA case for that :
    http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-14553
    Hi pfabrici,

Thanks for your time.
    Actually I am already using "Nr. of rows in rowset" value as 1, I never incremented it, I kept it on its default.
    But when I tried to increment it more than one, It worsens my issue.

Well after checking comment in above JIRA case, I thought, I have to provide one more information regarding my case, that I should have before.
    I am also writing same data of report to some CSV files through text output component in the same transformation.
    Do you think it will resolve my issue if I break both file creation in two different transformations, and then serialize them in single job.
    What is your view in this way?

Thanks

I don't think that the text output component and the report output step interfere somehow but it is worth a try.
    Do you change the ouput type ( pdf->xls or vice versa ) as described in the JIRA case ?

I did recently add some additional error checking to the Pentaho Reporting Output step for the next release, which may help with determining why the reports were not generated. Not sure if/when these might be backported in the current EE releases, though.

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-7502