Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: how to stop RandomForest object from saving bagging information

Default how to stop RandomForest object from saving bagging information

Hi everyone. I'm working with an old java program which uses weka.jar (version 3.7.1). I'm training a random forest classifier using a dataset with approximately 2500 rows of data. I need to be able to save the classifier to an external file so that I can load it later, but with 750 trees the file is around 500Mb. Because of this size, I am running into Java memory problems.

Looking at the object, I can see that there is a field called m_inBag which holds an array the same size as the number of trees, and each element holds an array the size of the dataset with a 'true' or 'false' (for whether or not that particular piece of training data is in the bag or out of the bag for that tree). I don't think I need this information when I classify new data, so I want to clear this parameter so that my classifier is smaller. Unfortunately I can't access the field directly. The RandomForest.listOptions method gives me the following: -I (num trees), -K (num features), -S (rand num seed), -depth (max depth of trees), and -D (debug mode).

Could anyone tell me a way to stop the classifier from storing the bagging information? Or how to clear the field before I save the classifier? Thanks so much for the help.
    Last edited by m2oswald; 08-15-2016 at 06:04 PM.

Ah yes, bummer :-) In later versions of Weka the buildClassifier() method in Bagging has

m_inBag = null;

at the end of the method, thus saving memory (and size on disk).

Can you upgrade to a newer version of Weka? Or otherwise, can you add the line above to buildClassifier() and recompile?

Cheers,
    Mark.

Thanks so much Mark, I appreciate your help. I'll try first to upgrade to a newer version.

Michael