Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Image to image-field from a file

Default Image to image-field from a file

Hi all,

I need to show a pictures of products in pentaho report (prpt file). Data source provides a path to a picture file.

I.e.
    "product_name";"product_picture"
    "Product1";"C:\products\product1.jpg"
    "Product2";"C:\products\product2.jpg"

Unfortunately the image-field expects a file object, so I tried to use following BSHExpression and add it to Attributes>field

getValue() {
    File sourceimage = new File("PRODUCT_PICTURE");
    Image image = ImageIO.read(sourceimage);
    return image;
    }

When I open the report, pictures are missing and no error is displayed. Does anybody have an idea?

Thank you
    Magdalena

P.S. - I have almost no knowledge of Java programming, so please be forgiving.

I have only used a header image in my reports and it was a static image

Is your report dynamic? I am asking because if the report is static you could probably just use the "image" type as opposed to the "image-field" type and just put in the path of the file

In my case the image is stored on the office network in a folder where all users have access but you can embed them into the report itself when you use the "image" type

Just thinking, if you need the image to change depending on the output of the report you could use a formula to define the path

1. Put an image in the report (not image-field)
    2. In attributes/value select the "+" icon
    3. You could then use a formula something like this

=IF([product_name]="Product1";"path_to_file_1";"path_to_file_2")

If you have multiple then you can use a nested formula so something like this

=IF([product_name]="Product1";"path_to_file_1";IF([product_name]="Product2";"path_to_file_2";IF([product_name]="Product3";"path_to_file_3"; "path_to_file_1")))

If using this approach just be careful of a few things

1. The formula editor will only accept it if it is in a continuous string so no line breaks or paragraphs
    2. Make sure to include a final option so in my example above if none of the conditions are satisfied it will default to file 1
    3. For closing parenthesis have as many as IF statements. In mine above I have 3 parenthesis at the end as I have 3 IF statements

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Deanicus; 09-06-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Thank you for your ideas, it works now.

Best regards
    Magdalena