Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Database connection problemo

Default Database connection problemo

HI all -

I can connect to my database with the Report designer application - but I cant seem to do it using the web instance - the same database - the only difference is the field "instance" which is not asked for in the web datasource setup -

Anyone come across this before?

thanks

D

have the client and web screen shots - the port number are different in the shots but i did have them the same - still wont work - I think the instance value is the thing thats causing the issues - i have tried it appended on the end of the host (host/instance) but no good

Name:  client.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  31.6 KBName:  web.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  21.1 KB

are there any other differences between the data connections for client vs web does anyone know?

thanks

D

In my instance I use a local connection for report designer but the web platform uses the JNDI connection

Perhaps change the connection to JNDI. All you have to do is put in the connection name (your tech dept should be able to give you this if you don't have it already)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanicus View Post
    In my instance I use a local connection for report designer but the web platform uses the JNDI connection

Perhaps change the connection to JNDI. All you have to do is put in the connection name (your tech dept should be able to give you this if you don't have it already)
    Thanks for that - I will try it out, what is the connection name? what format has it?

Thanks

D

Mine is just called Datamart

The connection was created by our data engineers so I don't know what else is involved. I literally created a JNDI in PRD and the only option I had was name, in which I typed Datamart

When I then upload the report to the web platform, it works. However if I accidently upload using my local connection I get a "failed at query" error

Quote Originally Posted by Deanicus View Post
    Mine is just called Datamart

The connection was created by our data engineers so I don't know what else is involved. I literally created a JNDI in PRD and the only option I had was name, in which I typed Datamart

When I then upload the report to the web platform, it works. However if I accidently upload using my local connection I get a "failed at query" error
    Thanks - tried setting a JNDI as per the Pentaho documentation - not working for me, connection still failing - unsure why there would be these connection differences between the report generator and the web connection -

I followed these steps, still giving me ConnectionServicelmpl.ERROR_0009 - Connection to database [name] failed

http://biwithui.blogspot.ie/2014/06/...server-50.html

just wondering has anyone come across anything similar before? i can use the report designer but cannot use the pentaho web based BA system - pretty frustrating at this stage :-(
    Last edited by 00833827; 09-14-2016 at 05:23 AM. Reason: spelling

I have googled that error and the majority of responses seem to be that either there is an error in the connection you are creating or you do not have the JDBC driver installed in the correct path or are using the wrong driver

The JNDI connection is used so that different tools can connect to a source without having to define the connection individually for each tool. You just type in the name of the JNDI connection and it does the rest

Just double check the driver you are using for the JNDI connection. Make sure it is compatible with the version of Pentaho you are running and also that it is in the correct directory

If you get the JNDI up and running all you then need to do in PRD is change your datasource type to a JNDI one with the correct name