Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to separate data when I hit a new value?

Default How to separate data when I hit a new value?

Hi! I've done some looking around online and in the docs and I'm still not sure where to start. I don't need a comprehensive solution, just a point in the right direction.

Broadly speaking, I have "transcript" data on lots of classes (think columns for class title, date, student name, student number, so forth). I do some manipulation of this data in PDI and then will pass to Report Designer for formatting.

The end goal is to create sign-in sheets for each classroom. So I will have to sort by the class instance unique ID, and then basically I want a page break each time a new class starts. - so all the students in a given class are listed until it hits a new class, then insert page break and start listing students with the new class, so forth. See my (pitiful ) drawing below.

I'm not sure if I pass the whole data set to RD and do something with dynamic page breaks there, or chunk up the data in PDI and send it through a RD output step one by one. Ideally this is one long PDF or something, rather than lots of little ones. They will be printed out.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by katieldouglass; 10-06-2016 at 03:58 PM.
    ---
    Data Integration version 6.1.0.1-198
    Report Designer version 6.1.0.1-196

If I have understand your problem correctly, you create a group by class and set to true the property page-break-after for the group.
    Regards

Thanks! That was actually really helpful. I was able to figure out how to get this to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana GH View Post
    If I have understand your problem correctly, you create a group by class and set to true the property page-break-after for the group.
    Regards
    ---
    Data Integration version 6.1.0.1-198
    Report Designer version 6.1.0.1-196