Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDI 7 and file repository

Question PDI 7 and file repository

Is it just me or file repository has gone from 7.0 CE? There is no connect to repo dialog anymore...

In PDI 7.0, try the dropdown in top-right that says "Connect" :-)
    Name:  2016-11-16_10-33-14.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  14.4 KB

Has a link to Repository Manager, however I'm having difficulty loading that on my current machine.

Repository settings are in config files... PDI 7.0 read my file repository created in 6.1 with no problem. If, like me, you can't access 7.0's Repository Manager, try using 6.0 / 6.1 to create file repositories, then open them in 7.0.
    My runtime environment: MacOS, JDK 1.8u121, PDI 7.0

Hey, ain't that a pickle...

I did a workaround you posted in separate thread (http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...-in-PDI-CE-6-1), and I realize in PDI 7.0 that that workaround prevents the repository connection from even being shown at top-right of Spoon gui! Weird.

Try restoring the Karaf XMLs and re-launching Spoon 7.0 -- do you then see the 'Connect' dropdown as pictured above?
    My runtime environment: MacOS, JDK 1.8u121, PDI 7.0

I'm so happy I replied in that other thread, otherwise I would never have guessed this. But unfortunately this didn't help - still no connect button. But it did point me in the right direction though. Basically karaf framework is used to load plugins dynamically and from I can see in the source code repository connector is now a plugin that is not part of distribution at sourceforge. It must be loaded by the framework upon start up but since we are behind firewall it doesn't succeed, so no connect button...

Same here (on Ubuntu 16.10). The repository menu is greyed out and doesn't contain the "connect" entry anymore. Also the repository dialog at startup isn't showing anymore. I haven't found a way so far to access my file based repo in PDI 7.

I finally got to the bottom of this. I was removing some bundled plugins from the distribution (like big data for example) and karaf was bombing out... If all the plugins are present then karaf is loading everything OK including repository plugin.

So I am having some similar issue happen. I see the connect button and I see the repository that was set up using earlier versions of PDI. When I click connect and click on my repository the login box pops up but the window is blank. My environment is RHEL 6. Java version is 8.

Have you guys checked for blocked ports on your firewall?

For anyone experiencing this issue can you please try the following:
    Stop Spoon
    Drop and replace the attached log4j.xml in the following location:
    \client-tools\data-integration\classes\log4j.xml
    ********This will create a spoon.log and pdi.log under data-integration\logs\
    Restart Spoon
    Try to connect to your repository
    Close Spoon
    Attach your logs for review
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anyone has run into this issue again?

Indeed - would be greate to track that down.

My Environment:
    * Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit Service Pack 1
    * Java Runtime 1.8

Akrisor
    Can you try using the log4j.xml attached previously?

Hello same issue for me.

After several relaunch ,and some tweak on my .keettle/repository.xml the pop up is back.

If someone have the solution to fix it everytime

Will you please share your tweaks? My colleague can't connect to repository anymore also, the same issue. Since PDI is just new here at this client, it will seriously harm the use of PDI when she can't connect soon!

I'm having this same problem, no repository is showing up, in the Tools>Repository menu all options are grayed out. I've tried using the attached log4j.xml below, no effect.
    In Tools>Options I've checked 'show repository dialog at startup', no effect. I'm using pdi-ce-7.0.0.0-25, Windows 10, java 1.8, 64 bit.

I have sub-transformations that were in my repository in version 5 of pdi, i've switched them to file-based but the mappings in my calls to them are not saving. I'm hoping putting them in a repository will resolve that.

Default repository login still blank

We can click on the connect and select the repository to login, the window is blank. attached is the logs.

spoon&pdi-logs.zip

Thumbs up new repository connection not open

Quote Originally Posted by len0x View Post
    Is it just me or file repository has gone from 7.0 CE? There is no connect to repo dialog anymore...
    I am using windows7 64bits, able to solve the problem updating the version of IE.

Maybe that means that IE is blocking something?

And now on our development environment, for my user, PDI also refuses to connect to the repository, without apparent reason. This in the crucial phase of a difficult migration. NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems only one user can connect to the repository at once? It turns out my colleague is logged in...

Please see my post with attached log files. I posted on 5/18 about 10am.

I had same problem when I installed Spoon on a machine with IE8, on another machine with IE11 it works. Here is a JIRA about the empty connection dialog.

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-15862

I'm experiencing the same issue on MacOS. The 'Connect' option in the Repository menu is not showing.. everything is greyed out.

When clicking on 'Connect' in the top-right corner I get the following error message:
    An unexpected error occurred in Spoon:
    org/pentaho/di/ui/repo/RepositoryDialog
    java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/pentaho/di/ui/repo/RepositoryDialog
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.repo.RepositoryConnectMenu$2.widgetSelected(RepositoryConnectMenu.java:124)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.readAndDispatch(Spoon.java:1366)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.waitForDispose(Spoon.java:8022)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:9277)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:692)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at org.pentaho.commons.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:92)
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Unable to load class 'org.pentaho.di.ui.repo.RepositoryDialog' because the bundle wiring for repositories-plugin-core is no longer valid.
    at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleWiringImpl.findClassOrResourceByDelegation(BundleWiringImpl.java:1521)
    at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleWiringImpl.access$400(BundleWiringImpl.java:77)
    at org.apache.felix.framework.BundleWiringImpl$BundleClassLoader.loadClass(BundleWiringImpl.java:1993)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:357)
    ... 19 more
    Does anyone know a solution for this? This way I can't use PDI anymore.

I downloaded 7.1 to see if the problem fixed with a newer version and installed it to my local windows machine with out issue. However when I move it over to a RHEL6 environment the same things happens.

I have a brand new MacBook Pro with a fresh PDI 7.1 install and also I can't connect now that somebody else is using the repository. This is a huge bug and I don't understand why they are doing so easy about it in the Jira calls. How do I explain to new PDI users and clients that basically only one person can connect to the repository for development? I call thi blatant amateurism.

Quote Originally Posted by azerty View Post
    Hello same issue for me.

After several relaunch ,and some tweak on my .keettle/repository.xml the pop up is back.

If someone have the solution to fix it everytime
    I find the repositories.xml in the hidden directory .kettle. Anybody know what to change so it works again?

Had the same issue again - from one day to the other it just disappeared. Exchanging the log4j.xml solved the issue.
    PDI 7
    Postgres
    Windows 7

Question Running spoon on Ubuntu 16.04 can't connect to file repository

Hi,
    trying to set up PDI 7.1.0.0-12

nothing stated in any of the threads seems to be working.
    1. refreshing .kettle + .pentaho libs by renaming them
    2. replace contents of the log4j.xml
    3. fresh installation... nothing
    4. checked all permissions on all folders (/home/user + /pentaho/* install folders + repo folders) all owned by me and have full access

on my PC (win10 64) all works fine
    Name:  win10.PNG
Views: 524
Size:  3.1 KB

trying to set it up on dev environment (ubuntu 16.04 + xming server on windows through putty, both on amazon) it loads but no repository connection anywhere
    Name:  ubuntu 16.04 xserver.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  34.9 KB

i even tried to put the repositories.xml file in the .kettle directory but nothing.

here's the spoon.log when loading spoon.sh:
    log4j:WARN Fatal parsing error 1 and column 1log4j:WARN Content is not allowed in prolog.
    log4j:ERROR Could not parse url [file:/opt/pentaho/data-integration/classes/log4 j.xml].
    org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; systemId: file:/opt/pentaho/data-integration/clas ses/log4j.xml; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.
    at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
    at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator$2.parse(DOMConfigurator.java:769 )
    at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java :871)
    at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java :778)
    at org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.selectAndConfigure(OptionCon verter.java:526)
    at org.apache.log4j.LogManager.<clinit>(LogManager.java:127)
    at org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:104)
    at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.getLogger(Log4JLogger.jav a:262)
    at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.<init>(Log4JLogger.java:1 08)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstruct orAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingC onstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
    at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.createLogFromClass(Log FactoryImpl.java:1025)
    at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.discoverLogImplementat ion(LogFactoryImpl.java:844)
    at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactory Impl.java:541)
    at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactory Impl.java:292)
    at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactory Impl.java:269)
    at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:657)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.xml.XMLParserFactoryProducer.<clinit>(XMLParserFa ctoryProducer.java:40)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.xml.XMLHandler.loadXMLFile(XMLHandler.java:594)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.plugins.PluginRegistryPluginType.registerNatives( PluginRegistryPluginType.java:98)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.plugins.BasePluginType.searchPlugins(BasePluginTy pe.java:119)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.plugins.PluginRegistry.registerType(PluginRegistr y.java:636)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.plugins.PluginRegistry.init(PluginRegistry.java:5 91)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.KettleClientEnvironment.init(KettleClientEnvironm ent.java:115)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.KettleClientEnvironment.init(KettleClientEnvironm ent.java:79)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.KettleEnvironment.init(KettleEnvironment.java:124 )
    at org.pentaho.di.core.KettleEnvironment.init(KettleEnvironment.java:98)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.KettleEnvironment.init(KettleEnvironment.java:79)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon$1.call(Spoon.java:624)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon$1.call(Spoon.java:616)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor. java:1142)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor .java:617)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.commons.vfs2.impl. StandardFileSystemManager).
    log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
    log4j:WARN See http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/faq.html#noconfig for more in fo.
    Jul 11, 2017 6:42:42 AM org.apache.karaf.main.Main$KarafLockCallback lockAquired
    INFO: Lock acquired. Setting startlevel to 100
    ERROR: Bundle pentaho-platform-plugin-deployer [9] Error starting mvn:pentaho/pe ntaho-platform-plugin-deployer/7.1.0.0-12 (org.osgi.framework.BundleException: U nresolved constraint in bundle pentaho-platform-plugin-deployer [9]: Unable to r esolve 9.0: missing requirement [9.0] osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.packag e=org.apache.felix.fileinstall)(version>=3.4.0)(!(version>=4.0.0))))
    org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unresolved constraint in bundle pentaho-plat form-plugin-deployer [9]: Unable to resolve 9.0: missing requirement [9.0] osgi. wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=org.apache.felix.fileinstall)(version>=3. 4.0)(!(version>=4.0.0)))
    at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundleRevision(Felix.java:400 2)
    at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:2045)
    at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1299)
    at org.apache.felix.framework.FrameworkStartLevelImpl.run(FrameworkStart LevelImpl.java:304)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
    Now what? I'm banging my head with setting up the environment for few days now, with no apparent solution anywhere..

Thanks.

Had a similar problem.
    After getting 7.1 I could use it for 2 weeks. Now, for the first time I opened up the Repository Manager and picked one repository as default on startup --> Repository Dropdown disappeared.
    After some fiddling around I found out, that the cause was some german utf-8 characters.

I opened repositories.xml and saved it with utf-8 encoding, restarted PDI and the dropdown is there again.

I documented it on superuser.com as well.

I didn't post a bugreport though. Maybe somebody else wants to do this? thanks

Default went around it..

Quote Originally Posted by beipawel View Post
    Had a similar problem.
    After getting 7.1 I could use it for 2 weeks. Now, for the first time I opened up the Repository Manager and picked one repository as default on startup --> Repository Dropdown disappeared.
    After some fiddling around I found out, that the cause was some german utf-8 characters.

I opened repositories.xml and saved it with utf-8 encoding, restarted PDI and the dropdown is there again.

I documented it on superuser.com as well.

I didn't post a bugreport though. Maybe somebody else wants to do this? thanks
    quit trying to run it using xwindow, and just installed ubuntu on my computer (through virtualbox).
    works like a charm.

now when i run it on server i just use kitchen.sh and watch the log.

bug remains..

Same happening here. I tried to remove ~/.kettle and get a fresh version and still didn't work. I am using pdi-ce-7.1.0.0-12 and here are the logs https://paste.ee/p/ot8hC

I found a solution to the problem which is forcing it run to with java8 instead of 9 (which has the problem), here i describe how to apply the patch https://gist.github.com/jaysonsantos...7cc18d3fc4eefe
    Last edited by jaysonsantos; 10-11-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Just installed v7.1 and experiencing the same problem. Does anyone have fix yet? I tried using repository.xml file from v7.0 but no luck.

also experienced disappearance of "Connect" button in top right corner. fresh install of pdi worked for me initially then it disappeared again after restart.

tracked the problem down to caching. deleting data-integration/system/karaf/caches folder restores the "Connect" button.

i don't know why this works