Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: MSSQL DB Connection Not Saving with Project

Post MSSQL DB Connection Not Saving with Project

I created a Job to Copy Tables from a MSSQL DB to a PostgreSQL DB.
    When I save the project the PostgreSQL DB Connection saves and exists in the XML 'connection' block.
    The MSSQL DB Connection is not in the XML for the saved Job.

When I open the Job to work in it later the MSSQL DB Connection must be recreated every time but the PostgreSQL connection persists and does not need to be recreated (which aligns with the saved XML Connection blocks).

I found the MSSQL Connection Block in one of the created 'Transform' xml files. I copied that XML block to the main Job File for the overall job and the MSSQL DB Connection exists in 'DB Connections' when I open the project. However, if I save the project the connection again disappears and I must manually add the XML Block back to the main project or manually create the DB Connection every time I launch the app.

Does Kettle now allow saving more than one DB Connection?

Thanks in advance,
    Ross
    Last edited by bucros; 11-28-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Added further troubleshooting detail

Quote Originally Posted by bucros View Post
    Does Kettle now allow saving more than one DB Connection?
    I go overboard with saving connections... yes, I suspect that you can save more than one DB Connection.

Try opening, in Spoon, one of the Jobs / Transformations which has the connection info for MSSQL DB Connection.

Once open: in Spoon, go to 'View' tab (behind 'Design' tab) >> expand the Job/Transformation >> expand Database Connections >> right click on the database connection and hit 'Share'

Bold connection names = Shared
    non-Bold connection names = Not Shared (local to file only)

Screenshot:
    Name:  2016-11-28_13-47-58.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  23.9 KB
    My runtime environment: MacOS, JDK 1.8u121, PDI 7.0

Quote Originally Posted by bucros View Post
    The MSSQL DB Connection is not in the XML for the saved Job.
    Note that a DB connection doesn't need to be in a Job if it's not used in that Job. I do not mean "if it's is not used by a transformation executed by the job" but rather the Job itself.

Also watch out for the Settings option "only save used connections" which will strip out automatically any connections that you are not using

Found that even though other transformations referenced the connection it wasn't until the direct job itself used the connection that it saved in the job XML.

[Resolved]