Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDI v7 : Spoon don't start on windows 10

Default PDI v7 : Spoon don't start on windows 10

Hi all,

I'm trying to launch Pentaho DI v7 on Windows 10, i have set my environnement variables (JAVA_HOME, PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME, ...) like it's recommended in another post but i can't launch it...

Here is what i have When i launch Spoon.bat in command line :C:\PDI\data-integration>spoon.bat
    DEBUG: Using PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin\javaw.exe

C:\PDI\data-integration>start "Spoon" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin\javaw.exe" "-Xms1024m" "-Xmx2048m" "-XX:MaxPermSize=256m" "-Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2" "-Djava.library.path=libswt\win32" "-DKETTLE_HOME=" "-DKETTLE_REPOSITORY=" "-DKETTLE_USER=" "-DKETTLE_PASSWORD=" "-DKETTLE_PLUGIN_PACKAGES=" "-DKETTLE_LOG_SIZE_LIMIT=" "-DKETTLE_JNDI_ROOT=" -jar launcher\pentaho-application-launcher-7.0.0.0-25.jar -lib ..\libswt\win32

Someone have an idea of what i can do to lauch it from windows (without using linux plateform) ?

You are using the 32 bits version of Java. See DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin\javaw.exe
    When using the 32 bits version of Java you have to lower the memory. So in the Spoon.bat change the
    "-Xmx2048m" to something like "-Xmx1536m"
    Or use the 64 bits version Java

Thanks Johanhammink, I have test your modifications on Spoon.bat but it was useless.
    So i have uninstall and install Java 64bits version and it worked (don't forget to adapt environnement variables)

My prob is solved, PDI start even if the interface of PDI looks very upset... (no color ect...)

Unhappy NEW to Pentaho...

Quote Originally Posted by johanhammink View Post
    You are using the 32 bits version of Java. See DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin\javaw.exe
    When using the 32 bits version of Java you have to lower the memory. So in the Spoon.bat change the
    "-Xmx2048m" to something like "-Xmx1536m"
    Or use the 64 bits version Java
    I'm using 64bits, installed the java for 64bits, run spoon.bat without any results...I've analyzed the command line produced by spoon

C:\data-integration>start "Spoon" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_111\bin\javaw.exe" "-Xms1024m" "-Xmx2048m" "-XX:MaxPermSize=256m" "-Dhttps.protocols=TLSv1,TLSv1.1,TLSv1.2" "-Djava.library.path=libswt\win32" "-KETTLE_HOME=" "-DKETTLE_REPOSITORY=" "-DKETTLE_USER=" "-DKETTLE_PASSWORD=" "-DKETTLE_PLUGIN_PACKAGES=" "-DKETTLE_LOG_SIZE_LIMIT=" "-DKETTLE_JNDI_ROOT=" -jar launcher\pentaho-application-launcher-7.0.0.0-25.jar -lib ..\libswt\win32 c:\data-integration

and I noticed that the library to be used is win32...
    first of all, how can this be corrected and 2nd how to get run spoon.bat to install Pentaho Data Integration in a 64bits computer using windows

Thanks,
    Eric

EMROSALES2016. You are using the 32 bits version from java. Programs in C:\Program Files (x86)\ are 32 bits versions. On a 64 bits machine you can execute 32 bits programs. Look in C:\Program Files\ for the 64 bits version of Java. If you can't find it there it is probably not installed.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by johanhammink View Post
    EMROSALES2016. You are using the 32 bits version from java. Programs in C:\Program Files (x86)\ are 32 bits versions. On a 64 bits machine you can execute 32 bits programs. Look in C:\Program Files\ for the 64 bits version of Java. If you can't find it there it is probably not installed.
    Thank you very much, I put some REM to see what was going on...I have changed the path where the javaw is (using the 64bits folder)...generate the command issued to run the interface and test it from the command line...and great, it works!!!

thanks again
    emrosales2016