Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Integrated Version Control vs. External

Default Integrated Version Control vs. External

I just read this post:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17707390/pentaho-kettle-etl-integration-with-subversion-or-git

I was at one shop and we used the integrated version control built into PDI.
    However, at this new shop, they are using an external version of subversion.
    What are the pluses and minuses of each approach ?

Quote Originally Posted by syswizard View Post
    What are the pluses and minuses of each approach ?
    Never used Pentaho integrated version control, so can't comment on that approach.

I use GIT for version control of PDI solutions. Haven't tried it on SVN. My feedback:

Plus:Kettle transformations and jobs are XML; lend themselves really well to managing via source control.

Minus: XML representation of jobs/transformations not very useful when comparing git diff on same file. Makes commit descriptions more important.

Plus: PDI's handling of parameters makes it easy to parameterize everything for different environements (Production/pre-Production) and different users.

Minus: very edge case... in PDI 7.0 Spoon, using a file repository... if the root of the file repository is under git version control (i.e. the /.git dir is in the root of file repository), Spoon 7.0 repository file manager takes much longer to open (20+ seconds). Don't have same issue if the file repository is one level below root git directory.
    My runtime environment: MacOS, JDK 1.8u121, PDI 7.0

I would say that the integrated "version control" should not be called like that:
    It is just keeping all versions of all individual files.
    There's no way to package a precise version of a set of files, no branches, no tags, no merge etc.
    Moreover, everybody is in fact working on the same repository!
    If two people open the same transformation and then save, you'll just get two version of the file,
    and the last win!

So I recommand using a true version control system.
    For example, with git:
    - create a master git repository on server.
    - on local dev, each one clone the master git, and create a pentaho file repository with root inside local git.
    - when dev ok, people push to master repository.
    - on server side, you wire the pentaho file repository to the master branch, or to master/test branch.
    If you have a DI EE repository, you then need to synchronise a branch of master git
    with the EE DI repository to do the deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias.CH View Post
    I would say that the integrated "version control" should not be called like that:
    It is just keeping all versions of all individual files.
    There's no way to package a precise version of a set of files, no branches, no tags, no merge etc.
    Moreover, everybody is in fact working on the same repository!
    If two people open the same transformation and then save, you'll just get two version of the file,
    and the last win!

So I recommand using a true version control system.
    For example, with git:
    - create a master git repository on server.
    - on local dev, each one clone the master git, and create a pentaho file repository with root inside local git.
    - when dev ok, people push to master repository.
    - on server side, you wire the pentaho file repository to the master branch, or to master/test branch.
    If you have a DI EE repository, you then need to synchronise a branch of master git
    with the EE DI repository to do the deployment.
    Thanks for that, but we are using SVN. Can this same approach work ?