Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Text File Output Header Appending

Default Text File Output Header Appending

I'm trying to append the text output file but seems like header is missing, so what I did for this,

1. Checked if the file exits
    2. If it doesn't exist Icreated and initial CSV file
    3. If it existed then read that CSV into a Serialize file
    4. And then appended the read file and the transformed file

But the issue is I cannot have a select file after reading the file as my columns are dynamic some times it has 2 and somtimes it has more than 10, so basically it varies. Now, while appending i"m getting an error stating
    Code:
    We detected rows with varying number of fields, this is not allowed in a transformation.  The first row contained 0 fields, another one contained 6 :
    Please help me on how to achieve this.

There are many solutions to your problem:
    You don't need to read the file, can't you use the content -> append function in the "Text file output" to continue to write to the file if it already exists otherwise it create it?

Otherwise the easiest solution is to always add empty columns in the file to the maximum fields, if that is known.
    You can also concat the fields to a row before join the streams. Then the number of fields is always one.
    Otherwise you can use the "File Metadata" or "Metadata structure of stream" to determine the number of fields in both streams and then add the number of fields missing.
    Both streams need to have the same number of fields to join them.

There's an issue with Text-File-Output when option "Append" is used.
    While that issue was closed as fixed for version 5.1 I can't say it really is.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Any other alternate way to append the rows by the way the columns are dynamic for each file, so, technically i can't fix that. Anyways let me once also check this out in v5.1.

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    So, what I figured out with "text file output" is that - It has 2 behaviours, if header option is checked then it will insert the header whereas if you also check the append then it won't. So typically you need to have 2 out's one with "header" checked when creating the file for the first time and another with checking "append" and unchecking the "header", by this, we can append rows with the header. For me, it look's like the documentation is not clear on this.

Thanks for all your suggestions.