Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Join multiple databases with subreports

Default Join multiple databases with subreports

Hi,

I have a redshift database and a mysql database where I would like to join information from both together

There is data in the redshift one that does not exist in the mysql one so I would like to be able to pass this information over to the mysql one

I know this can be done with PDI but I was hoping to avoid that as I am not that familiar with it. Another method I saw was using subreports with different datasources

Is it possible to pass information from master-subreport or vice-versa? I know parameters can be shared but since this information is not in one of the datasources I am struggling to see how to use parameters for this

Any advice is greatly appreciated

You can repeat a subreport by placing it inside a group header/footer or detail row. It allows you to you pass a value from the main report query into a parameter of the subreport and then run the subreport with that parameter. You can also use a SINGLEVALUEQUERY formula for the value of a field. Theoretically, for every row of the main report, you can look up some information in another database. In practice, this has some limitations (you can't filter the main dataset by the looked-up value, for instance) and making a query for each row, depending on the size of the dataset and the query complexity, may severely hurt performance.

Thanks Lukfi

I think I would run into performance issues fairly quickly so PDI might be the better way

I had a quick look at PDI and have even created a simple file that joins the information together so I think I can figure it out for my actual purpose