Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Is there a utility for this ? (formatted text files from KTR/KJB files)

Default Is there a utility for this ? (formatted text files from KTR/KJB files)

We are not using the PDI repository and instead are using SVN and the local file system.
    We have a TON of SQL in many KTR transforms.
    I'd like to be able to take an entire directory and extract the SQL into a nice, formatted set of text files.
    Also, for the KJB files, I would simply like a listing of the transforms and other jobs being called in their respective order of course.

I take it I'll need to use some sort of XML transform process to do this with the correct XML schemas ?

What you want may not be possible.
    You can, of course, extract SQL statements and queries from the .kjb and .ktr files, but many DB-related operations are done under the hood by Pentaho (for instance, a Table output step does some INSERTs but the SQL is not stored inside the file).
    I imagine you could process the .kjb files using PDI (there are some XML input steps) to get a simple textual representation of which steps a job contains. But honestly I don't see much value in this; why do it if you can open the jobs and transformations with Spoon and see all the context?

There's a sample of the use of Automatic Documentation Step in the samples directory of your installation, in case you need to build something yourself, although I have found the Kettle Cookbook project to be ready and quite complete. It uses old icons for steps, but it works with Pentaho 6.1 (I haven't tried it with Pentaho 7 yet)
    The code is in github, but I think I had to google code to take a look to the wiki to see how it worked:
    https://github.com/rpbouman/kettle-cookbook
    Here is some information about the Kettle Cookbook:
    http://type-exit.org/adventures-with...or-kettle-etl/
    http://kjube.blogspot.com.es/2010/10/kff-cookbook.html

By the way, this question goes in the Pentaho Data Integration Forum better than BI Platform
    Regards

Thanks Ana...but the Kettle Cookbook looks to be yet another poorly documented and poorly supported piece of open source software.....Ughh.

I have been struggling with proprietary software (Oracle Warehouse Builder and OBIEE) for ten years... Each has it strong points, but documentation or support in my experience isn't much better. Hours spent talking to Oracle "un"-support... sigh! The best documentation found were blog post from individuals working with the tools tackling real-world problems.