Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Unable to Insert/Update Records in Existing SQL Table

Question Unable to Insert/Update Records in Existing SQL Table

I'm new to Pentaho (Spoon) though my experience with SSIS has proven to be helpful. In any case, I've been unable to insert/update records from my transformation into an existing SQL table.... I get errors indicating "Field name contains one or more spaces. database unfriendly!" (see attached). The problem appears to be the Insert/Update step is trying to update the existing table to include the data input column names (Excel Spreadsheet) rather than inserting or updating records in the table (I have mapped the fields). How can I update existing records in the table based on a key match or insert records if there is no match? . Do I need to add a step to Execute a SQL script instead? Thanks for any help on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Try to check if the step if somehow formatting your fields.

You can also change your logic: insert the values you need in a new table (table output), and run a query doing the update (with run SQL step).

Validate Transformation and "Run" are different functions.

The screenshot is from "Validate" and is letting you know that the field names that you have selected are not friendly to a database.
    Try running the transform - if you did your mapping, then it should process correctly.