Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Input table step ignores Oracle optimizer hints

Question Input table step ignores Oracle optimizer hints

Hello,

I have pdi-ce-7.0.0.0-25 and I think the table input script is ignoring the Oracle optimizer hints.

I have a query, for example:

Code:
    Select 
    /*+ parallel(16) */
    Employee, 
    Payroll 
    from schema.table
    This query and text output (.csv) step is taking almost 25 minutes on PDI, but if I run the same query on Oracle Developer and manually exporting the result, is taking 9 to 10 minutes.

How can i verify if the step is using/processing/using correctly the Oracle hint?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge.

While the Execute-(Row-)SQL-Script steps do remove comments before execution, I'm not aware of Table-Input doing so.
    Generally, there are two ways to make sure hints buried in comments make it to the Optimizer: You can enable JDBC tracing on the client side, or on the server side you can e.g. ask your DBA to dig out your actual statement from the history table.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Question

Hello Marabu, thank you for your answer.

On the log I can see the comment, but I dont understand why is so slow, I will try the trace on the JDBC, but what I have to search?

Name:  OraHint.png
Views: 76
Size:  3.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    While the Execute-(Row-)SQL-Script steps do remove comments before execution, I'm not aware of Table-Input doing so.
    Generally, there are two ways to make sure hints buried in comments make it to the Optimizer: You can enable JDBC tracing on the client side, or on the server side you can e.g. ask your DBA to dig out your actual statement from the history table.
    Thanks!