Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: After XML import all first and second step values in MErg Join steps are gone

Default After XML import all first and second step values in MErg Join steps are gone

I introduce Kettle at my current client. I am now in the phase to put the first update to a transformation from Test to Production. I use the XML export and then XML import for this. After I import and save the transformation, running it gives errors. It turns out all First step and Second step fields in the 3 Merge Join steps are gone after the import. I have repeated it 4 times and checked the Test version. The problem remains and in Test all is good. I use PDI 6.1. Who knows about this issue?

I now notice the same happened with the Filter steps... This is really bad!

If you look in the exported XML file, are the fields present?

Edit: Actually, it is a known bug, fixed in 7.0: http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-15133

Are you exporting each file separately, or exporting from the repository explorer? That second option seems to work normally for me.

Go to Tools -> Repository... -> Explore

Right-click a folder (or the root /) on the left hand side and click export. Choose a filename, don't apply any rules.
    This will save the whole subtree to one big xml file, which for me also includes the true and false destinations for the Filter Rows step.
    Last edited by Isha Lamboo; 02-16-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added workaround

Thanks for the feedback. This is about exporting a separate file when the file is open. This is also the procedure I want to introduce when a single transformation is updated. I will try doing it from Repository > Explore for a single transformation. I will also look into upgrading to Kettle CE 7.