Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Running transformations using carte

Default Running transformations using carte

Hello,

When I read documentation about carte, it says that it allows the remote executions of jobs/transformation.

With pentaho BI 7, i think we can run transformation remotly using https://localhost:port/pentaho/kettl...ns=myTrans.ktr .

So what is the benefits of this carte component and when use it

Thanks

Carte is the webservice implementing that API you are referring to with runTrans.
    While most jobs run scheduled, there's always the odd job that must run on demand.
    That's when Carte comes in handy: All you need is an open HTTP port on your Kettle server and with a tiny shell script even end users are able to start a job.

Thanks marabu,
    So you mean we can't run jobs/transformations with only BI server running ( without running carte)

I'm a little bit confused because I can run for example /kettle/status succesfully without running carte server

I'm just a Kettle user, don't know much about Pentaho BI.
    Are you talking about Community Edition or Enterprise Edition?
    Carte is used with CE, EE comes with DI server (more features I guess).
    You don't need Carte if there's already a webservice running on your site that provides the same functionality.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by zizou84 View Post
    Thanks marabu,
    So you mean we can't run jobs/transformations with only BI server running ( without running carte)

I'm a little bit confused because I can run for example /kettle/status succesfully without running carte server
    You use Carte if:
    1. You dont have a DI/BI/Pentaho server
    2. You build a Data integration cluster: so you have a Master node with Carte/DI/BI/Pentaho server installed.
    Then you have slave servers (workers) with only Carte. You use Carte because it is lightweight and you dont need all
    the web interface on a slave data integration server.

Note that before Pentaho 7 and its pentaho server, Carte was the only CE component to execute PDI jobs remotely.