Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Step causes transformation not to start

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default Step causes transformation not to start

    Hello, I am using Pentaho Spoon 4.1.0 and am running into an issue where adding new steps to an existing transformation is occasionally causing problems. The problem is that when I hit start transformation, nothing populates in the step metrics and the logging tab only shows this:



    2017/02/24 16:31:50 - Spoon - Logging goes to file:///C:/Users/A0220488/AppData/Lo...dd948d537f.log
    2017/02/24 16:31:52 - Spoon - Asking for repository
    2017/02/24 16:31:52 - ARServersMeta - Reading AR Servers XML file: D:\Program Files\BMC Software\ARSystem\diserver\.kettle\arservers.xml
    2017/02/24 16:35:20 - Spoon - Transformation opened.
    2017/02/24 16:35:20 - Spoon - Launching transformation [BennTEst123]...
    2017/02/24 16:35:20 - Spoon - Started the transformation execution.
    2017/02/24 16:35:20 - BennTEst123 - Dispatching started for transformation [BennTEst123]

    What makes even less sense to me is that I can often get around the problem by applying new names to the steps, but only certain names seem to be fixing my issue.

    To provide a very specific example, I can take my existing transformation and add a java filter, drop it onto an existing hop to split the hop, create a dummy step, and specify both outputs of the java filter (one to the existing destination and the other to the dummy step). This will result 100% of the time in the error shown above when using the step names that I want to use, "Sort Identical Rows AST" for the filter and any default or custom name for the dummy using the word Dummy in it. The odd thing is that I can get it to work 100% of the time when creating them and giving the filter the name "cool thing" and giving the dummy "cool thing dum".

    I feel as though it is also important to mention that I have ran into this error several other times without doing anything with a Java filter. I copied a branch of code that is used to generate logging variables and write to a log and pasted it in four different places in the transformation. Spoon appends the names with numerical values to keep the step names unique, but when I run the job I see the same behavior and message as shown above. I then went back and manually updated each step in the four branches I created with the name M#, where I incremented # each time. I hit play and everything runs fine. Anyone know anything about this naming issue?

    P.S. I have several versions of my job saved in states where all I have to do to break it is change the name of one transformation or add a dummy step between two steps or at the end of a filter and poof, back to square one with the message above.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,534

    Default

    Can you provide a transformation that will run on my machine, so I can reproduce the error?

    BTW: That's an ancient Kettle version you are using. No chance to upgrade at least to 4.4?
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Can you provide a transformation that will run on my machine, so I can reproduce the error?

    BTW: That's an ancient Kettle version you are using. No chance to upgrade at least to 4.4?
    I'd love to provide the transformation. I don't think this should be a problem since it doesn't contain data but let me check with my boss first since it's for work. I should also mention it contains "AR Input" steps provided from a vendor we work with so I'm not sure if exporting will do you much good. On Monday I will check with work about posting it as well as try to reproduce in a transformation with only out of the box steps.

    Unfortunately due to working with a vendor, we receive spoon packaged with their product, so for compatibility reasons we have to stay on 4.1.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,534

    Default

    AR-Input is provided by BMC for their Remedy Action-Request software.
    We use that software, but I don't have access to its Integrator.
    Perhaps you can prove the error is caused by the AR steps by removing them from your design, so you could contact BMC support.
    They have a forum, too, I recall.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    AR-Input is provided by BMC for their Remedy Action-Request software.
    We use that software, but I don't have access to its Integrator.
    Perhaps you can prove the error is caused by the AR steps by removing them from your design, so you could contact BMC support.
    They have a forum, too, I recall.
    Yes, I'll try to reproduce without the BMC steps on Monday , I'm sure it's possible .

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I can't seem to reproduce this from a new pentaho transformation, regardless of whether or not I include BMC steps. Also when trying to replace the BMC input/output steps in a failing job, the job starts working somewhere along the way but there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to when it starts, or how many BMC steps are remaining at the time.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Privacy Policy | Legal Notices | Safe Harbor Privacy Policy

Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Hitachi Vantara Corporation. All Rights Reserved.