Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Postgresql: Table output / Forced to specify database field

Default Postgresql: Table output / Forced to specify database field

Hello,

I've been using PDI since a while now but I'm trying to work with Postgresql for the first time (used to work with Oracle, SQL Server and MySQL).

I've been struggling to import a flat file into a table and it was not working. All my stream fields can map to a field within my output table (same name and exact number of fields).

When running my transformation, I get the error :
    2017/03/05 15:44:48 - Table output.0 - ERROR: column "route_id" of relation "trips" does not exist
    2017/03/05 15:44:48 - Table output.0 - Position: 29
    2017/03/05 15:44:48 - Table output.0 -
    2017/03/05 15:44:48 - Table output.0 - Error updating batch
    2017/03/05 15:44:48 - Table output.0 - Batch entry 0 INSERT INTO "public".trips (route_id, service_id, trip_id, trip_headsign, direction_id, block_id, shape_id, wheelchair_accessible) VALUES ( 1, 'DI', '1_1_R_DI_1601_06_45', 'Test data', 0, '1601_2', '1_1_R', 1) was aborted. Call getNextException to see the cause.

However, if I do specify the fields in the table output, then it works...(yes, route_id exists...)
    This is a bit weird to me and looks like a bug but just wondering if anyone is getting this with Postgresql ?

Thanks.

BR,
    C.

What's the exact DDL name of column route_id?
    PostgreSQL identifiers are lowercase unless quoted.
    DB connection has an option "Quote all in database" to adjust for non-lowercase names.
    You can read about it in the docs - section 4.1.1 last paragraph.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

grr.... can't post the error, pentaho firewall keep rejecting and don't know why..

anyway, DDL statement is route_id, all in lowercase, nothing special here.

Already tried the quoting you suggest, still get an error about the field "route_id" not existing... funny, when I specify database field, it exists...
    Name:  Screenshot from 2017-03-06 21-00-24.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  15.6 KB
    Name:  ddl.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  22.9 KB
    Last edited by CHamel; 03-06-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Did you change the data type of column route_id lately?
    I'm asking because Kettle generates an Integer value for that INSERT statement, but your DDL says CHAR VARYING.
    If so, you should clear the Spoon database cache.
    There's even an option disabling the cache permanently.

BTW: You're not the only one suffering from the application firewall rules...
    Last edited by marabu; 03-07-2017 at 03:53 PM.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Did you change the data type of column route_id lately?
    I'm asking because Kettle generates an Integer value for that INSERT statement, but your DDL says CHAR VARYING.
    If so, you should clear the Spoon database cache.
    There's even an option disabling the cache permanently.

BTW: Your not the only one suffering from the application firewall rules...

You're right. I changed that, it was my input that detected an int and I forgot to changed it. However, it doesn't change the behavior.
    I'm currently running this on a local linux box. I'll try to do the same thing from my windows workstation to see if I get the same problem.

Thanks for your help.

BR,
    C.

This probably isn't your specific problem, but the way Postgres selects schemas is a bit different than other DBMS. Postgres has the concept of a "schema search path," which it uses to search for tables that don't have schema qualifiers. It's very similar to how an operating system uses your $PATH variable to find executable files when you don't include the full directory path to the file. The way it works is documented here: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/curr...l-schemas.html

Again, it sounds like your issue is something else, but when you described the original problem, I wondered if maybe you had two "trips" tables in different schemas, one with a "route_id" column and one without it.

Hello Rob,

No, only one table named trips and I only have the "public" schema.
    I also provide the schema (Target Schema = public) in the table output step.

Bah, I'll specify the database fields and that's it, I intended to anyway because I'm planning to use Metadata Injection in my project. I was just curious about why it was not working like I'm used to...
    Thanks for your help.

BR,
    C.