Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho BI Server consums large amount of memory and times out in JPivot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down Pentaho BI Server consums large amount of memory and times out in JPivot

Hello guys I'm trying to use JPivot to do some analysing of an OLAP Cube I created. THe point of the Cube is to evaluate data coming from machines selling bottles and things like that. The database below is a postgres databae that holds a fact table on transaction grain (each sold bottle) and multiple dimension tables. The schema contains two degenerate dimensions (timestamp and another one). However when I try to access the cube via JPivot it will cause a query timeout. The database has around 1.53 million entries in the fact table (BottleDetail) and about a dozen entries in each dimension table. However I have to admit I'm not sure if the problem is caused by a memory leak of the BI Server (latest version) or the slowness of the underlying PostgresDatabase. The Database does not have lots of data. The fact table is only 248MB in size right now. I have mainly used Pentaho Data Integration to create the database but I set the foreign key and primary key constraints manually. Did anyone notice similar problems with the Pentaho BI Server CE Edition? (memory leaks, problems with postgresql or anything) and has found a solution to this?
    Many thanks in advance.

Lightbulb Update

UPDATE: I deleted one of the degenerate Dimensions (the Timestamp) and things are flowing fine now. I have the feeling that something went wrong on the database side (maybe indexing?) I wonder if it would be a good idea to delete the fact table and recreate it entirely for the sake of it.

Degenerate dimension are meant for data in fact table wich have few different values.

Timestamp field is not an appropriate one to use with this kind of dimension.

Try a different aproach like a time dimension and a view to format the timestamp in some groups.