Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Unable to increase the socketTimeout for a mysql connection

Default Unable to increase the socketTimeout for a mysql connection

I am using Pentaho Kettle for ETL using a MySql connnection. I am getting a Communications link Failure error - saying 'The last packet successfully received from the server was 304.613 milliseconds ago' I tried to increase the timeout using the socketTimeout variable and setting it to a higher value but it doesnt help. Strangely, when i try and reduce the value of the socketTimeout variable to a lower value I get the error earlier. So lower value works but value higher than 300 seconds does not..!!

I was getting this error in querys in the BI server and it has gotten better after adding ?autoReconnect=true to the JDBC connection so the url parameter looks like this: url="jdbc:mysql://MYHOST:MYPORT/MYDB?autoReconnect=true". Maybe it can work in Kettle too, I haven't needed it for my transformations and jobs but it won't do any harm either.
    Regards

Thank you for your response. However adding the autoReconnect variable diid not help.. I still get the same error. I am still not able to understand why a value higher than 300 seconds doesn't work for the socketConnect variable.
    Could this have something to do with the my sql server properties ?

Hello,

Can you please try in your mysql and let us know value for innodb_lock_wait_timeout value if it is db is InnoDB.

hope this variable will help us regarding lock or timeout sessions.

Thank you

Hi santhi..

The db is not InnoDB.. However the value for innodb_lock_wait_timeout is 50