Normally, I am able to use the HBase Output step and write data to HBase.

I added the phoenix jars to the /lib folder to be able to use the Table Input step to run Phoenix SQL against HBase (using the Generic Database connection). After doing that, the Table Input step retrieves data fine.

However, when I go back to my HBase Output step, I keep getting "Unable to connect to HBase" after clicking 'Get Table Names'.

If I remove the phoenix jars and restart Spoon, HBase Output works again.

I tried updating the hbase* jars under /pentaho-big-data-plugin/hadoop-configurations/hdp24/lib/pmr, but that didn't do anything.

How can I keep the phoenix jars and still use the HBase Output step?

sample of the error below:

org.pentaho.big.data.kettle.plugins.hbase.HBaseConnectionException: Unable to connect to HBase
at org.pentaho.big.data.kettle.plugins.hbase.mapping.MappingUtils.getMappingAdmin(MappingUtils.java:69)
at org.pentaho.big.data.kettle.plugins.hbase.mapping.MappingEditor.populateTableCombo(MappingEditor.java:615)
at org.pentaho.big.data.kettle.plugins.hbase.mapping.MappingEditor.access$100(MappingEditor.java:95)
at org.pentaho.big.data.kettle.plugins.hbase.mapping.MappingEditor$2.widgetSelected(MappingEditor.java:237)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.big.data.kettle.plugins.hbase.output.HBaseOutputDialog.open(HBaseOutputDialog.java:603)
at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.delegates.SpoonStepsDelegate.editStep(SpoonStepsDelegate.java:127)
at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.editStep(Spoon.java:8789)
at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.trans.TransGraph.editStep(TransGraph.java:3179)
at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.trans.TransGraph.mouseDoubleClick(TransGraph.java:775)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.readAndDispatch(Spoon.java:1359)
at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.waitForDispose(Spoon.java:7990)
at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:9290)
at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:685)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.pentaho.commons.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:92)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.pentaho.big.data.bundles.impl.shim.hbase.connectionPool.HBaseConnectionPool.create(HBaseConnectionPool.java:141)
at com.pentaho.big.data.bundles.impl.shim.hbase.connectionPool.HBaseConnectionPool.getConnectionHandle(HBaseConnectionPool.java:225)
at com.pentaho.big.data.bundles.impl.shim.hbase.HBaseConnectionImpl.checkHBaseAvailable(HBaseConnectionImpl.java:68)
at org.pentaho.big.data.kettle.plugins.hbase.mapping.MappingUtils.getMappingAdmin(MappingUtils.java:66)

Thanks in advance.